GPU cooling

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have very good air flow in my Antec VAR II SX1000II. 2 case fans in front and 2 in the back blowing out. My cpu is always around 115-120f, no matter what game I am playing. My leadtec 6800gt is running on the average of 45-47c when gameing. Today I installed the 77.18 drivers and went into a fast action game of painkiller. When I got out of the game the nvidia display showed the graphics card running at 58c. I have never seen it that high before and it got me worried. I paid a lot for that card and I do not want to burn it up. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the side of the case and installing a case fan to blow on the graphics card. The leadtec came with a massive copper heat sink on it and a cooling fan that I removed the screen from, a tip I got from this forum. I was wondering if these new drivers are giving me false readings? If not, would installing a case fan on the side of the case blowing at the video card help bring the temps down? And what would be a good quite and efficient fan. Thanks for any suggestions. :scratch::scratch:

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Try the 77.72 drivers...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Those temps are actually very good for that card and it is perfectly fine! ;)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Try the 77.72 drivers...
    Believe it or not I had tried the 77.72 drivers a few days ago. I was very happy with them too. Everything looked so much better on my monitor. But when I went to view a file with quicktime or windows media player the colors were all washed out, so I rolled back to the 77.18's. To bad because I really liked those drivers...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The video overlay gamma/saturation was probably off.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    The video overlay gamma/saturation was probably off.
    Thanks Thrax, I went to the saturation and gamma controls and tried adjusting the with no luck. So it is my windows media and quicktime and also my power dvd player that are affected with these new drivers. The saturation in overlay settings is 114%, this is where is was with the 77.18 drivers, The gamma in color correction is set to 1.00 and digital vibrance is set to off...When I tried installing the 77.72 drivers again, I got the same results. Colors were washed out and really messed up. Like a yellow sky, not blue and colors bleeding into other colors....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Can you capture a screenshot of it? You'll probably have to use HypersnapDX or another program capable of capturing D3D overlays.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2005
    Do you think I can get the screenshot with fraps? I have that program.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    how about removing that hot air from the case?

http://sidewindercomputers.com/arconvsi6re2.html
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2005
    csimon wrote:
    how about removing that hot air from the case?

http://sidewindercomputers.com/arconvsi6re2.html
    Yes, I am sorry. That is why I started this thread. I went to the link you posted and it looks like I will have to remove the heatsink on my card to install that Arctic cooling silencer. I am not that talented. That is why I thought a fan on the side of my case blowing on the video card might help. That I know I can do...
  • edited August 2005
    The video problem is very easily fixed, switch back to the 77.72 drivers.

Then go into your nvidia control panel > color correction > apply color changes to > all

google FTW :thumbsup:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs, Thank You very much. It worked. How do you people get so smart? Maybe I should go back to my playstation and sell my computer. I would have never figured that out...thank you thank you thank you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • edited August 2005
    ronbo wrote:
    djstubbs, Thank You very much. It worked. How do you people get so smart? Maybe I should go back to my playstation and sell my computer. I would have never figured that out...thank you thank you thank you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

haha anytime bro...

i searched google for the fix and posted it in a few threads, it was actually on some nvidia forum.