Gateway wont read XP cd

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys, I was fixing my cousins gateway that went crazy. Ok so the problem was windows would start loading and then just freeze. They had windows ME, and the ME screen would just freeze. I left it on for a few hours and it was still stuck there. I tried it about 10 times and ever single time it would just hang there. So anyway I told my uncle to buy xp, so he did. Anyway I went to boot off of it and it, but I couldnt get it to say "press any key to boot from cd". I changed the boot order about a million times and still nothing. I even tried 3 different cd/dvd rom drives and still nothing. I even tried a different xp cd and still nothing.

I put the hard drive into my pc to see what would happen, and it worked fine. I even formatted the hd, re installed windows from my pc and it loaded and worked fine, so im sure its not hte hd thats the problem. (i even tried 2 other hd's just for reasurance). Then I put it back into their pc and it says NTLDR not found or something like that. I wasnt thinking when i formatted it :shakehead . After that I ruled out the xp cd, and the hd. I even tried a copy of ME and still nothing to load from. I also moved the cmos jumper to reset it, but that did nothing.

So now im stuck with an old gateway (2000-2001ish) that wont boot, and comes to an error saying NTLDR Not Found please reset. (it reads something like that) Anyway its not a huge deal if it cant be revived because they were thinking about buying a new pc anyway. I just want some suggestions. anything will do, thanks

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I can't help you with your CD problems, as I have no solutions, but if you manage to sort that out, a repair install on that installation of WinXP will solve the NTLDR problems.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2005
    Its not a cd problem. It jsut wont let me boot from the cd. I've tried 3 other dvd/cd rom drives, and 2 other xp discs and it didnt work. And that xp disc also worked in my pc, along with the gateways cd rom drive. I think its some weird setting in the bios. Maybe the bios needs reflashed or something.