Major boot up/display problems after installing fans on CPU and Video Card

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Ok well recently I became fed up with how noisy my computer was, so I bought some new, quieter case fans, as well as a Zalman brand CPU Cooler and video card fan. The fans are big and can be ran at 5v, and I must say I was satisfied with how quiet the fans were.

Anyways the install was easy, I got most of everything put back together alright, I got stuck once or twice but resolved it by looking at my motherboard manual. Replacing the fan on the video card was a pain but over all everything seemed to be going smoothely, until of course I tried to boot up the computer..

The first thing I noticed was that there were distorted horizontal lines messing up the display (during the boot up screen), then the screen became extremely scrambled with static and colors, then there was a blue screen, and then it wen't back to being scrambled again and stayed that way, it never even started loading windows as far as I can tell. So I turned it off and tried it again. After doing this a few times I noticed that occasionally the monitor wasn't even getting a signal, but when it did the same exact thing happened (minus the bluescreen, haven't seen it again since the first time).

Another thing I've noticed is a strange delay between when I press the power button and when the HDD LED on the front of the case lights up, that I don't believe was there before. Like the fans and mobo get power then 1 sec later the HD gets power, kinda strange. I know it's a long post, but I really can't afford to pay somebody to find out what's wrong with it (I've looked at their rates :bawling: ). So this is my last attempt at fixing it. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help I really appreciate it. I would like to try switching out the graphics card to see if that's the problem but I don't have a spare one laying around, and none of my friends have PCI-e cards so I'm not sure what to do..

This is a picture of my geforce 6600 GT and ECS 915G-M motherboard

These are the fans I installed on my CPU and Video Card
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu
Zalman VF700-Cu

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 – 3.0E GHz w/1MB cache with HyperThreading, 800 MHz FSB

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Graphicas card probable OH sometime and bad now, possible OH of other things, possible PSU not powering everything right causing chaos in system. Possible RAM OH if OC'd or even not. Possible CPU damage from OH before. I would RMA card if can-- this would not be easy with a new fan on it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Chances are one of the pipelines on you card became damaged (ex you damaged your core of your videocard. My buddy had the same problem with his radeon 9600xt he put the stock cooler back on and rma'ed it back to ati. He recived a new one in 2 weeks put the new cooler back on it and it was fine.

edit: Might be your psu but its probably your videocard.
  • edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Chances are one of the pipelines on you card became damaged (ex you damaged your core of your videocard. My buddy had the same problem with his radeon 9600xt he put the stock cooler back on and rma'ed it back to ati. He recived a new one in 2 weeks put the new cooler back on it and it was fine.

edit: Might be your psu but its probably your videocard.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any possible way to return the card seeing as how I can't even put the stock fan back on. The pins used to hold the stock fan in were made out of hard plastic with a wide end on the other side, the only way to remove is to cut them off so yeah...void warranty. So I guess I'll just buy a new one and hope I don't do the same thing.. thanks guys.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Send it in anyways ati took a radeon 7500 I totaly trashed (just ended up sending in the pcb without a heatsink. They sent me back a new 7500 :))

Hopefully who every makes your 6600 is that nice too :).
  • edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Send it in anyways ati took a radeon 7500 I totaly trashed (just ended up sending in the pcb without a heatsink. They sent me back a new 7500 :))

Hopefully who every makes your 6600 is that nice too :).

:eek: Haha it's newegg so I doubt it, I'm not really sure what to say in the RMA description "Ummm it came without a fan and I didn't get around to returning it till 2 months later..)

"• Physical damage and/or physical modifications will void the warranty of any Newegg.com product. This includes but is not limited to physically damaged CPUs which are burnt, chipped, cracked or have bent and/or missing pins. All physically damaged merchandise will be returned to the customer and the warranty will be null and void."

UPDATE

On another note I'm not so sure the problem is just the video card anymore, here are some videos I made showing what happens when I boot up my computer..

part 1
    Basically it shows the regular boot up screen then BAM everything gets scrambled..

part 2
    After about 15 seconds of the screen being totally scrambled it starts to load windows...

part 3
    After the windows loading screen I either get a quick flash of a blue screen or it just goes black then it just reboots itself and does it all over..One of the times instead of it rebooting I got this error instead

I mean if it was just the video card wouldn't the computer still boot up correctly?

a pic of my setup ugh look at that wire mess..
  • edited August 2005
    well I think im just gonna buy a new card tommorrow and try things out, a shame but this kinda stuff just happens sometimes.
  • edited August 2005
    sorry for triple post but i'd just like to say i got a new card today, figured everything out and it's all running fine again except...no sound. all drivers working normally, tried reinstalling them too. Sigh, one problem after the other.