Repalcing stock Athlon CPU heat sink and Fan

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have a NF7 board with an Athlon XP 3000 (333Mhz). I'm running the stock amd cpu heat sink and fan. I want something that makes less noise. I'm thinking of replacing this cpu heat sink with CoolerMasters X Dream III.

The current (stock amd) heatsink came with a strip thermal 'paste' already stuck on it. I just had to pull the plasic off and attach it. The new cooler fan I want has a tube thermal paste which needs to be applied before the fan unit is attached.

My question is when I remove the stock cooler, do I need to clean off the old thermal paste from the cpu before putting on the new thermal paste?

OR

Can I just remove the stock cooler, put paste on and not worry about it?

Also any tips for applying the termal paste.

Looking forward to replies, thanks in advance

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    clean the old crap off, its not too hard. also, keep in mind that when applying thermal paste to the cpu, your goal is to apply a very thin, evenly applied layer. don't just dump a ton on there
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    TheBaron is exactly correct. When you clean the CPU's surface, you'll want to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (dries faster than the more common 70%) and apply it with something that won't leave pieces of itself on the surface you're wiping. Wait for it to dry, and use something like the edge of a credit card (clean that too) to apply a thin coat of the thermal paste. Then you can attach the CPU cooler - you'll want to clean that with the alcohol as well.
  • edited August 2005
    how do I remove the thermal coumpound?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If it is very stiff and thick, I sometimes use a plastic scraper, like a credit card, to remove it. If it is softer, the 99% isopropyl on the Q-tip will work just fine.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that you will want to apply a thin layer of your new thermal compound to the heatsink contact surface and to the CPU surface, not just to the CPU.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    And Thin means THIN.

You're trying to fill in the Microscopic ridges and valleys of the two surfaces not mortar two bricks togther. :D It's easy
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks guys :D I've got all the information I need
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    glad I read this also :p