Does anyone have an A64 3200 Venice that does not do 2.6 or higher???

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I recently upgraded my wife's machine from a 3000 Winchester to a 3200 Venice and let it run stock for a while. This past weekend I finally got around to doing a little overclocking and got a very nice surprise. I started at 250=2.5 with only a small voltage increase and it went into Windows just fine. So I tried 260=2.6 then 270=2.7 with the same 1.40v and it is still folding at 2.7 for 37 hrs @ 43C under an XP-90 and Thermalright fan. Did I get lucky or is this par for the course? I am going to try more soon but want to keep this for a few days to be sure. This is also a testament to those Superflower PSU's I have been pushing on lately too. All rails are dead on!

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Got up to 280=2.8 with 1.45v. It wouldn't go into Windows without bumping the volts a little. I got it into Windows @ 285 w/ same volts but it crashed so I uped the volts to 1.5 and it held but my full load temp put it up to 49, which I didn't like.
    2.8.JPG 136.7K
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    49C isnt bad. Heck the temp on my laptop says its in the 60s all the time.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2005
    i dont mean to hijack the thread, but could somebody walk me through o/Cing a A64? this HTT stuff is confusing.. i read somewhere else that i had to drop the ram to DDR266 then up the HTT.. is that what im supposed to be doing? this will be a venice 3200+ on a Asus A8n SLi Premium w/ 2-3-3-6 g.Skill
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    Awesome chip you've got there mtgoat! Have you found it's ceiling yet?

Also, is your memory running on a divider? I'm really tempted to ditch my winchester, as the memory controller really sucks on it (cant do much more than 240mhz on the memory and retain stability). I've heard that these venice chips are really tolerant when it comes to higher memory overclocks..
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    i dont mean to hijack the thread, but could somebody walk me through o/Cing a A64? this HTT stuff is confusing.. i read somewhere else that i had to drop the ram to DDR266 then up the HTT.. is that what im supposed to be doing? this will be a venice 3200+ on a Asus A8n SLi Premium w/ 2-3-3-6 g.Skill
    HTT is the base clock of an AThlon 64 CPU analogous to the FSB of Athlon XP and Pentium III. Everything is derived from HTT (Base HTT is 200Mhz - you cant go any lower). the A64 internally operates on a multiple of the Base HTT. For the lastest CPUs this is 5x (5x 200 = HTT1000 - CPU HTT). Now A64 will not operate much past HTT1000, so it is recomended that you drop the CPU HTT to 4x or even 3x (3x 300mhz = HTT900). There isn't a large benchmarkable difference between running 5x, 4x or 3x CPU HTT

If your memory can run upto and beyond 250mhz (PC4000) you can just leave the HTT:Mem ratio at 1:1 (6:6) or DDR400 (200mhz) If your memory is limited you want to run either the DDR333 ratio (HTT:Mem 6:5) or DDR266 ratio (6:4) or even DDR200 ratio (6:3). Even if your memory doesn't clock a hair over 200mhz (PC3200) with the DDR266 6:4 ratio you can reach a HTT300 clock because HTT300 @ (6:4) = 200mhz (PC3200) Memory

SO Set your CPU HTT multiple to 3x your Memory speed to DDR266 (6:4), or DDR333 (6:5) and then increase the HTT (Base clock) from 200 in 5-10mhz increments.

Playing around with CPU Clock multipliers is the advanced class :)
    3000+ ( 9x) 1.8ghz
    3200+ (10x) 2.0ghz
    3500+ (11x) 2.2ghz
    3700+ (11x) 2.2ghz
    3800+ X2 (10x) 2.0ghz
    3800+ (12x) 2.4ghz
    4000+ (12x) 2.4ghz
    4200+ X2 (11x) 2.2ghz
    4400+ X2 (11x) 2.2ghz
    4600+ X2 (12x) 2.4ghz
    4800+ X2 (12x) 2.4ghz
    edited August 2005
    thanks for that little guide. It'd be awesome if you wrote the advanced class too ;p
    edited August 2005
    There are some links on this page. There is a nice bit of info at the DFI Street Forums.

http://del.icio.us/nosferatu/amd64
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Got up to 280=2.8 with 1.45v. It wouldn't go into Windows without bumping the volts a little. I got it into Windows @ 285 w/ same volts but it crashed so I uped the volts to 1.5 and it held but my full load temp put it up to 49, which I didn't like.
    hehe hehe ...now you know why that chip on my wishlist!
    I've read that the 3000 won't match the 3200 and the 3500 is a dead match.
    Seems to be the bargain chip of the moment. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Awesome chip you've got there mtgoat! Have you found it's ceiling yet?

Also, is your memory running on a divider? I'm really tempted to ditch my winchester, as the memory controller really sucks on it (cant do much more than 240mhz on the memory and retain stability). I've heard that these venice chips are really tolerant when it comes to higher memory overclocks..
    No dividers. It is all 1:1 and I am running 2.5-3-4-8-1T@2.8v I Haven't played enough to find the ceiling yet. I am suspecting it won't go much past 2.85 on air and I am amazed at how little voltage it needs so far. This one is going to give my 3700 SD a run for its money! ;)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    No dividers. It is all 1:1 and I am running 2.5-3-4-8-1T@2.8v I Haven't played enough to find the ceiling yet. I am suspecting it won't go much past 2.85 on air and I am amazed at how little voltage it needs so far. This one is going to give my 3700 SD a run for its money! ;)

can you bench it against the sd using the same vid card?
    edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    can you bench it against the sd using the same vid card?
    What???

You want me to let the karma out? ;D

Actually I would like to do my own test to compare the difference the cache makes by clocking each exactly the same in say 3 different increments each w/ only the CPU changed in the same system. I won't be able to do it for a little while though.
    edited August 2005
    I just finished playing with this new CPU and I now know what it will and will not do. This is kind of interesting that it all went so smooth till I got to its threshold then it was like it had a switch where it wouldn't do any more. It looks like 2.85 is the ceiling where it just stops. I couldn't get it to do 2.86 for anything. I tried more volts and all the tricks I could pull out but that was it. It doesn't even need that much more voltage to run at its max compared to 2.8. I tried changing the memory divider but it was still the same. So that means my memory is cerainly not holding me back at all. As a matter of fact I like the way it feels @ 2.7 w/ 1:1 and seems like it should run like that a long time. So I played with my memory a bit and got it to run 270 @ 2.5-3-3-7 w/ 2.9 volts. :D With it all set like this is 'feels' lightning fast and runs very smooth. The only other thing to do with this set-up is to see how fast I can get my memory to run @ 2.0-2-2-7.
    2850.JPG 133.5K
    edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    hehe hehe ...now you know why that chip on my wishlist!
    I've read that the 3000 won't match the 3200 and the 3500 is a dead match.
    Seems to be the bargain chip of the moment. :thumbsup:
    Chris

I certainly see where a 3500 Venice would be wasted money. Right now I like the idea of the extra L2 on my San Diego but I'm really beginning to wonder if that is wort it. Keep tuned for my direct comparison. ;)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    what HTT multiple are you using?
    edited August 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    what HTT multiple are you using?
    I am using a HTT Multiplier of 4. That makes my HTT 1140.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Can I still vote even if I have a newcastle. (hasn't voted yet)

I can't get mine prime 95 stable above 2.4ghz without 1.7V :/.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    MtG is going to have to change his avitar to a LanParty logo.
    edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Can I still vote even if I have a newcastle. (hasn't voted yet)

I can't get mine prime 95 stable above 2.4ghz without 1.7V :/.
    I would appreciate not as I am trying to get an accurate view of the success of this particular CPU on the Venice core.

NOTE:
    If a mod would like to edit my poll for me so it included Newcastle core with a yes, over 2.6, not even close and a Winchester core with the same.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Sweet will vote as soon as theres more options :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    49C isnt bad. Heck the temp on my laptop says its in the 60s all the time.
    My Newcastle runs a bit over 50C (full-time Folding; OEM HSF; no O/C). I'd like to see anything in the 40s...

Keebs has a brand new Venice - maybe he'll chime in.

Looks like you've got a winner there, mtgoat. :D
  • edited August 2005
    Larry, if you will buy me one I'll let you know how it does. ;):p

Actually, I'm kind of waiting for EPoX to come out with an X2 capable bios for my 9NDA3+ mobo so I can splurge and get me an X2 3800 to play with. I love the way dually boards run so smooth. :thumbsup: If it runs like I think it will, I'll probably make it my main rig and let my P4 machine become a dedicated folding box.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Poll updated per mtgoat's request :)
    edited August 2005
    Poll updated per mtgoat's request :)
    Thank You! :cool:
    edited August 2005
    i've just finished the A8N SLi Premium w/ 3200+ venice. I've got the vcore at 1.5v, the htt multi at 4x, the ram set at ddr266. The "fsb" wont go over 253... any ideas? or did i just get a crappy cpu with a low ceiling =/

-oh and the poll needs a option for overclocking less than 2.6ghz but more than stock ;p
    edited August 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    i've just finished the A8N SLi Premium w/ 3200+ venice. I've got the vcore at 1.5v, the htt multi at 4x, the ram set at ddr266. The "fsb" wont go over 253... any ideas? or did i just get a crappy cpu with a low ceiling =/

-oh and the poll needs a option for overclocking less than 2.6ghz but more than stock ;p
    Lower the vcore to about 1.45. What are the rest of your settings? What PSU are you running?

A bum CPU is a possibility and the Asus isn't as overclocker friendly as the DFI. But I do suspect that you just need a little tweeking to get it on track. ;)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2005
    Man you guys are making me hungry for an upgrade..
    Lets see performace exhaust for my car or a new system.. dang they both will be faster than what I got now..
    edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Lower the vcore to about 1.45. What are the rest of your settings? What PSU are you running?

A bum CPU is a possibility and the Asus isn't as overclocker friendly as the DFI. But I do suspect that you just need a little tweeking to get it on track. ;)

Settings? i have the HTT multiplier at 4x.. i changed the ram to ddr266, cpu multiplier to 10x, HTT bus to 253, pci express bus at 100mhz, chipset voltage 1.5v , HT voltage 1.2v, and the DDR voltage is at "auto"... its running a 420w Thermaltake psu. what other settings do i need?

-oh btw, i just tried to lower the vcore to 1.45.. it wont boot =/
    edited August 2005
    When you have the vcore set to 1.5, what does your monitoring program say it's actually running at? After seeing what you listed as your PSU I would suspect that is what is holding you back. Go ahead and post all your voltages so I can see what they look like.

I am going to guess your rails look something like this;
    * 3.3 = 3.2ish
    * 5.0 = 4.8ish
    * 12v = 11.7ish
    edited August 2005
    Larry, have you tried lowering the HTT to 3x? Its not supposed to go over 1000mhz. Besides there is no gain with more than 1x.
    edited August 2005
    vcore: 1.536v
    +12v = 11.84
    +5v = 5.026
    +3.3v = 3.376