Upgrade questions

edited August 2005 in Hardware
K here is my Current system:

AMD Athlon 2700+
ABIT NF7-S
Geforce 6800GT
1 gig RAM

I was thinking of upgrading my MB and processor because it seems like the AMD 64s have dropped a decent amount in Price. Looks like I can get a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939 Pin for around $150 or so. What is a good motherboard for this? Also what is the fastest 939 pin AMD 64 (not duel core since I will be staying with an AGP MB). If the 4000+ is the fastest I can get and it's not much more expensive might as well just go with that, know what I mean? The motherboard has to be AGP, I would prefer NForce, since I have had problems with VIA chipsets. I also would like dual channel memory, I like that about the NF7-S. It doesn't have to be a majorly overclockable MB since I don't do that much. I am staying with AGP because I can't afford to upgrage my video card and everything else. Just wondering if this is the way to go...

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    well you have to consider a bit farther down the road. chances are you arent going to be seeing agp cards in next-gen cards and so on. i would buy a nice sli or single 16x board and a new cpu and put it away and save up for the next round of cards next year. otherwise your going to have to upgrade your entire system again when you finally want to switch over to pciE. imo :wave:
  • edited August 2005
    yeah I already have that planned. This is just a "mini" upgrade since it seems like I could get away with $300 or less
  • edited August 2005
    I guess I should do more reading, apparently there are no AGP Nforce4 MB's. How about Nforce3 or NF3 ultra 939 pin?
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited August 2005
    If you want to wait awhile, boards with the ULi M1695 chipset would be an option for you. It's supposedly a great Nforce4 alternative, and it supports both AGP and PCI Express.

Here's more info on it. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2471
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    well if you are planning to upgrade your system later, i would get some good memory seen as how that can be used in both systems.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'd wait. Honestly, sticking a $300 A64 upgrade into the system you've got isn't going to net you much. Okay, so you'd bench higher, but I doubt you'd notice too much difference in, for instance, gaming.

I just downgraded from an AMD64 3000+ (2 GHz, 1600HTT w/400MHz RAM clock) to an AXP 2500+ (1.83GHz, 333FSB) and kept my Radeon 9800 in both systems. I noticed absolutley no difference in playing UT2K4 and Guild Wars, both which I could bump up to max settings on either system and it played smoothly, and I saw no difference on HL2DM, which I kept at 1152x864 with AA&AF turned on both systems.

I'd say save your $300 now, and do a full upgrade when the time comes to get a signifcant performance increase. :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']well if you are planning to upgrade your system later, i would get some good memory seen as how that can be used in both systems.
    I agree. Getting good memory now will benefit you now and put you in a etter position for upgrading later on. Another good upgrade would be a new PSU that meets the new current specs.