Processor Core Help

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I am currently ordering parts for my first build.

This is what im getting for sure so far:

Thermaltake Tsunami Case
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MoBo
Antec Truepower 2.0 550W PSU

Now my question is which CPU to go for, because I am unfamilliar with the different cores. I want a AMD 64 3500 and was currently looking at the Clawhammer core but a post today on Newegg says that with more than 3 memory modules, their run speed drops. Having the ASUS MoBO I can put in 4Gigs og 1Gig sticks and while I don't intend to right away I will eventually. The Clawhammer is 20 bucks more than the Venice core and I do plan on overclocking the chip. Which should I go with?

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA=1&Item=N82E16819103514&page=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

Or is there a better one for the same price?

Since I'm here I have a couple other questions u guys might know. Is there a problem with switching memory brand names for the A8N-SLI or even mixing memory sizes? Like 2 512's and 1 1Gig together?

Also are there any cheaper SLI graphics cards then the Geforce 6800's or whatever that are like 500 bucks each?

Thank You

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    Hi Stranger1,

As far as CPUs are concerned, the new 'Venice' based AMD chips seem to do better than the older clawhammer/newcastle chips. The Venice 90nm based CPUs feature SSE3 instruction sets, and a lower default vcore (1.35/1.4V versus 1.5V), and as a result, much lower heat dissipation. There should be a Venice 3500+ chip avaliable, as well as 3000+, 3200+, and 3800+. If you wanted something with more cache memory (1MB) check out the San Diego based cores, which are essentially Venice cores with more cache on board.

On the AMD 939 platform, I'd strongly recommend getting memory in a matched pair/quad configuration. 939 is a Dual channel platform, and you'll have troubles with non-matching sets. With the Venice/SanDiego cores, 4dimms is possible, however your memory will run in 2T by default (which equates to about 15% memory performance hit). With the older cores, including clawhammer/newcastle and winchester, 4 dimms would default to DDR333 speeds, instead of DDR400.

If you are interested in cheaper SLI cards, I'd check out the 6600GT, which retails for about $150US, sometimes cheaper. The 6800NU (the 128mb model) is also a good compromise between the 6600GT and the more expensive 6800GT/Ultra.
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    Keep in mind that 15% performance hit is almost totally absorped with the interplay between having 2GB+ of RAM, and having it addressed as dual channel. For instance, running 1.5GB in three 512mb DIMMs will result in the ram being addressed as single channel, *and* you'll still gain performance over 1GB in two 512mb setup as dual channel *if* the app you're running would wind up swapping to harddrive often.

It's all subjective, but 2T command rate is not something to fear if it gets you up to/over 2GB. : )
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Based on alot of the benchmarks I've seen, I'd go with an Athalon 64 3700+ San Diego. It's score behind the 4000+ is only single digits 80% of the time and is over $100.00 less on NewEgg.com
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks for the responses all.

So would you say that this chip would beat the Clawhammer?

Sorry for these newb questions but this is my first time I've ever had the need to learn about this stuff. What is SSE3 instruction for and whats the benefit of having 1MB of L2 Cache over 512. dont honestly know what the cache does.

Also i read something about CO models being worse then CG but i can't find that labeled anywhere on Newegg.

The thing about the 3700, Jradmin, is that they cant be overclocked and the 3500's can be overclocked beyond the 3700.
    edited August 2005
    Stranger1 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses all.

So would you say that this chip would beat the Clawhammer?

Sorry for these newb questions but this is my first time I've ever had the need to learn about this stuff. What is SSE3 instruction for and whats the benefit of having 1MB of L2 Cache over 512. dont honestly know what the cache does.

Also i read something about CO models being worse then CG but i can't find that labeled anywhere on Newegg.

The thing about the 3700, Jradmin, is that they cant be overclocked and the 3500's can be overclocked beyond the 3700.

Yes.

San Diego has 1M L2.

Cache allows you to access your programs/apps faster. Think of it as RAM built directly into the CPU. If the CPU had to sit there and access the main memory everytime you ran a program, then your system would be hella slow. The more cache, the faster the CPU can access info.

Since when cant a 3700 be OC'd? Thats the first I heard of that. I've seen and heard alot of people get them up to 2.8ghz and just bearly break 50C full load on the stock HS/fan.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    good job on picking the TTake Tsunami :D:D it's a great case
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks for the help guys. Just placed my second order to complete my PC (unless I'm forgetting something).

Ordered a few days ago:
    Thermaltake Tsunami Case
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard

Just ordered tonight:
    AMD 64 3500+ Venice Core Processor
    Antec Truepower 2.0 550W PSU
    1 Gig (2 x 512) Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200 Memory sticks (Will get 2 1Gig sticks later when they drop in price) They even have a cool little LED Heatsink on them to let ya know how hard they are workin for ya.
    Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM Internal HD
    Lite-ON CD/DVD DL Burner

And some Thermal Paste to finish off the order

Will use the Graphics card in my old comp for now and pick up 2 SLI cards shortly if the prices drop a tad. Whole PC made for under 1000 bucks. Will overclock this bad boy as much as possible. Will add everything else my heart desires when i get a few more paychecks. (Another HD, Burner, 2 SLI Graphics Cards, Memory...) Whole thing should stay under 1700 bucks with room for upgrades galore.
    edited August 2005
    system sounds great! I would think you could get FX-57 (2.8ghz) OC out of that. What thermal paste did you buy? Make sure you read up about applying that very carefully.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    Good choices on the hardware, that should be a great system :thumbsup:

Btw, what graphics card do you currently have?
  • edited August 2005
    I purchased Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. Kind of worried about applying it as I've never done it before.

My graphics card is nothing special right now. Radeon 9250 256MB
    edited August 2005
    don't sweat it - Take a look at my thread :-)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Stranger1 wrote:

I just noticed this and laughed my ass off. My 3700 is currently running at 2.8 and 44C full load. I guess someone forgot to tell my CPU it can't be overclocked! :eek:;D
    edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    I just noticed this and laughed my ass off. My 3700 is currently running at 2.8 and 44C full load. I guess someone forgot to tell my CPU it can't be overclocked! :eek:;D

Yeah, never heard of that one either. In my opinion he didnt do himself justice by not getting the 3700. Oh well...some people come ask for opinions about first builds but then presume to know more then someone who does it for a living. :mullet:
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited August 2005
    Your graphics card won't work with your new motherboard. The card is AGP and your motherboard doesn't support that. You'll need to get a PCI express card.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    IMO 3-6 months from now he's going to hate himself for not getting a Athlon X2. The early results on the X2 3800+ are nice.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    IMO 3-6 months from now he's going to hate himself for not getting a Athlon X2. The early results on the X2 3800+ are nice.
    Thats what I'm waitin for. ;):thumbsup: