weird Bios problem

edited August 2005 in Hardware
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus A8V-E DELUXE Via K8T890
Radeon X300SE PCI Express
WD 250GB Serial ATA
1GB Corsair DDR400

ok. heres my problem. i just built this PC today and everything worked fine when i started it up. so i went in and configured the bios and then went ahead and installed winxp64. the winxp64 install went smoothly and afterwards the box booted up into xp just fine. i went ahead and went to windows update and updated the OS and afterwards i rebooted. thats when the problem started.

so when i rebooted my computer it never booted into anything. on the bottom of the screen it's say 'press del to enter setup' like it says on every computer when you turn it on except when i press del itd say it was entering set-up but it'd never go anywhere. it'd be stuck each and every time. so i went ahead and reset the cmos and afterwards when i started up the computer i was able to get into the bios settings. everything worked fine. so after setting up the time and date in the bios and everything i started up winxp64 again. everyhting yet again ran smoothly and had no problems. to satisfy my own curiosity i rebooted the machine and wouldnt ya know it..i yet again could not boot up into anything nor could i even enter the bios setup. again.

anybody have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it? cus i'm really not too big on the idea of having to reset my cmos everytime i want to use my computer. please help.

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    could the cmos battery be near its end by any chance? see if you can check the voltage on that battery.
  • edited August 2005
    i have no way of testing the battery right now but i just got this mobo, and if the battery was dead wouldnt it just start up and everytime i'd have to enter the time and date and junk in the bios? sorry. i dont know that much about mobo stuff so it being something simple like a battery seems odd to me. i'll replace the battery but is there anything else that can cause this that i can troubleshoot right now?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    i have no way of testing the battery right now but i just got this mobo, and if the battery was dead wouldnt it just start up and everytime i'd have to enter the time and date and junk in the bios? sorry. i dont know that much about mobo stuff so it being something simple like a battery seems odd to me. i'll replace the battery but is there anything else that can cause this that i can troubleshoot right now?
    ok you're totally right. You would have to re-enter the date/time yes. I was just trying to think of something. I really don't know what else to say except wait for some more help to view this thread in the morning.

It's set to boot from HD first, right?
  • edited August 2005

It's set to boot from HD first, right?

yes. HD first. but the problem is that it just hangs on startup. doesnt boot into any OS, doesnt even boot into bios setup. sure i can press 'del' and it'll tell me its entering bios setup but it never gets there. it just sits there perpetually.
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited August 2005
    reset your cmos. if that doesn't work, take everything out of your computer except mobo, proc, memory, and video. if it boots up and is asking for a bootable device then your good. plug your hdd then. try again. then keep adding things one by one. it's a long process, but hopefully it'll narrow down your problem