how much as5?

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Can someone show me some sort of visual reference as to how much AS5 I should apply to my new 3200+ and hs/f? Thanks

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    There should just be a thin film of it over the core of the processor, think of like the thinkness of a normal piece of paper... basically enough just to make contact with both parts.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    For Arctic Silver 5:
    Carefully apply the thermal compound directly to the core of the CPU.
    so only on the cpu, and not on both? I had heard you do it on both :scratch: Should i do the method it said to by using a credit card or razor to spread it on the cpu core, or just mash the heatsink on there?

I can't put it in my mouth? darn..
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If your HS is clean, you could just mash it on there. What I usually do (this probably mattered more for AS2 and AS3) is spread the residual amount of AS left on my spreading device after I've finished with the core onto the HS base. I spread it EXTRA thin, only paying attention to the part that contacts the core. I don't think it's really neceassary, though.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    I put a really thin layer on both when I did mine. Only a tiny bit squeezed out, so it's obviously working good. And I get ridiculously low temps.

The trick is just not to really overdo it. Take your time, too.
    edited August 2005
    okay thanks for the pointers. I think i'll squeeze a tiny bit on the processor and then spread it around with a card or something. I wont add any more to the hs, because I bet I would make it too thick combined.

I want it to look just like this most of the way across the cpu. Not the whole area, because I have to leave room for it to ooze out some.
    as2closeup.jpg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Don't stress it too much. AS5 is way easier to spread than AS2 and 3. Just spread it on, and if some oozes out a millimeter or so onto the rest of the CPU, it won't hurt anything. Unless you lick it.
    edited August 2005
    haha ok thanks :thumbsup:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    AS5 is conductive meaning electricty can pass thru it. If you spread it over the untire surface of the chip it will cause some bridges to short and could ruin your CPU.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    It's not conductive, it's capacitive. It'll be conductive at very high frequencies, however the exposed bridges on a cpu are likely DC, so it'll be an open circuit. That said, I wouldn't spread it all over my cpu with reckless abandon.
    AS website wrote:
    While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

now that I've made my useful post:

I like as much as5 as I can get.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I put it on thin enough where you can still read the stuff printed on the chip's core. Then I spread the excess on the bottom of the heatsink. Works great that way. :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I actually rub it into the heatsink rather than on the CPU core - I use it to fill in the pits and gaps on the hs surface to make excellent contact with the cpu core.

When I seat the HS, I push down a bit and turn it back and forth to "spread" the compound onto the core a little bit :)
    edited August 2005
    ok i guess i'll do that..
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2005
    hehe, I saw this thread and saw it said "how much ass?" haha..ok I will go now :p