Installing a new MOBO without reformatting?

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I know I've seen this question asked all over the forums. My question though is can you uninstall the MOBO drivers before you switch MOBO's then do a repair reinstall on Win XP?

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    yes
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    This thread at DFI Street should help:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5360

I would say though that you may have stability issues without doing a new install.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    I've installed XP on a Abit NF7-S v2 (NF2 Chipset) and then taken the HD and booted both a EPoX 9NDA3+ (NF3-250GB) and a Asus A8N-SLI (NF4-SLI). I was a little surprised on the NF4 but since it was an IDE HD all it did was detect new devices and ask for any needed drivers.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    I've installed XP on a Abit NF7-S v2 (NF2 Chipset) and then taken the HD and booted both a EPoX 9NDA3+ (NF3-250GB) and a Asus A8N-SLI (NF4-SLI). I was a little surprised on the NF4 but since it was an IDE HD all it did was detect new devices and ask for any needed drivers.

Cool, cause this HDD Is moving from an Intel 915 board to a Asus A8N-SLI board. Its IDE aswell.
    edited August 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    Cool, cause this HDD Is moving from an Intel 915 board to a Asus A8N-SLI board. Its IDE aswell.
    Notice my upgrades were all in the same Nvidia chipset family NF2 -> NF3 & NF2 -> NF4. The chipset driver was basically the same.

Going from an Intel chipset to a Nvidia Athlon 64 chipset is unlikely to work. But let us know if it does (or not). Uninstall your chipset driver first to give you the best possible chance of success
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    Notice my upgrades were all in the same Nvidia chipset family NF2 -> NF3 & NF2 -> NF4. The chipset driver was basically the same.

Going from an Intel chipset to a Nvidia Athlon 64 chipset is unlikely to work. But let us know if it does (or not). Uninstall your chipset driver first to give you the best possible chance of success

I am. What I'm going to do is uninstall them, install the new MOBO drivers, then when it asks for the reboot I'll pop in the new MOBO/CPU/RAM and see what happens.

Or would it be better to just uninstall the chipset drivers and do a repair install and wait till windows boots up (if its gonna) then load up the Asus drivers?
    edited August 2005
    That IS a good question. Your on your own now. Go experiment and let us know! :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    That IS a good question. Your on your own now. Go experiemnt and let us know! :)

We should just answer every question like this, around here! :thumbsup: