what to do with mac's

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
A friend of mine knew I was kinda into computers and asked what I did with all of them. So I told him about Folding. He thought this was pretty cool. He said his company was in the process of replacing some computers and asked if the team wanted the old "PC'S" . I told him we were always looking for machines and parts. He said he would let me know when they were available.

I went to pick up the "PC'S" tonight and.....they were Mac's :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Not knowing anything about Mac's , I took them and thanked him. I then politley told him he should not call a Mac a PC.

I just looked up the specs on them. :rolleyes:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/stats/powermac_7200_75.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_centris/stats/mac_centris_650.html

What the heck am I supposed to do with these ?

The one says current value is $10.00 , Couldn't ship it for that.

They are in nice shape , it would be a shame to put theme in the dumpster.

Any suggestions ? ( Be nice ) Is there such a thing as a Mac collector ?

Scott

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    I might be intrested in the 7200 :).

Also both of them can fold if you wana make a adapter for a standard vga monitor (or ebay one).

Just install debian 68k for the older centris 650 and debian ppc for the 7200 :).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    keep in mind though that those are pentium-era machines. i mean the original pentium. That 7200/75 is a 75mhz powerPC chip. It will not really fold at any worthwhile rate. Maybe a few points a year :(

They're not really worth anything except maybe as a 'Lot' on ebay :(
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited August 2005
    I have a PowerBook 150 with about the same proc speed as the Centris, and as soon as I get the mouse working, I'm gonna put Debian 68k on it, just as a learning experience. I would suggest you do the same.

I was going to suggest XPostFacto for the PowerMac (just for the heck of it), but because of the 601 PPC, it won't work, end of story.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    one of them has a VGA adapter.

In the box are 3 modems a 14.4 and 2 56K's mouse and keyboard.

And look at the size of that monitor. 19"

Scott
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited August 2005
    Lmao... 75MHz

You'd probably make more money parting them out on Ebay than you would just putting them on complete. I may be wrong though, I don't know how goo goo people are for old Mac parts.
    edited August 2005
    you can turn them into smoothwalls if you get another network card for them. Perhaps even be able to sell them as smoothwalls
  • edited August 2005
    Will Smoothwall run on old Mac hardware? I wouldn't expect it to (at least with the correct drivers built in to the install disk), but I haven't heard anything about it either. Either way, you'd need to make sure they have at LEAST 32 megs of RAM (64 would be much better), and you'd be hard pressed (and very paitent) if you wanted to run sny kind of Smoothwall mods on either one.

IMO, Smoothwall mods like the Superkernel, QOS, content filtering, etc need a CPU speed of about the Pentium 200 class. Any slower and you're looking at 10-20 minute boot times on the thing.

I remember when my elementary school first got those in. They sure seemed fast ,back then. ;D
    edited August 2005
    I don't really want to mess with them at all. I got them to donate to SMX. I thought they were "Newer PC's" .
    I have been pretty busy lately and don't have time to part them out or deal with ebay auctions.

Oh Well

Don't know what to do. :confused:

Scott

If any of you Ohio guys want the project , I would still like to see something of it all benefit the SMX project.

Scott
    edited August 2005
    TheSMJ: a 75mhz powerPC will perform about the same as a pentium 200. Sorta like an amd/intel thing.

Scott: If you have like 20 of them, perhaps someone can come up with a crazy clustered linux supercomputer out of them :p
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    TheSMJ: a 75mhz powerPC will perform about the same as a pentium 200. Sorta like an amd/intel thing.

Scott: If you have like 20 of them, perhaps someone can come up with a crazy clustered linux supercomputer out of them :p
    More like p1 133 with mmx tech.

Im intrested in buying the macs if hes intrested in selling them :).
    edited August 2005
    Well I just talked to the guy who gave me the mac's. I got permission to throw them out. I swapped a few PM with GrayFox about shipping them and the weight made it prohibitive.
    If anybody wants them and is willing to pick them up they are free. I would be willing to drive a bit to meet someone somewhere.

I fired up the 7200 and got some specs on what was in it
    OS 8.1
    Built in memory 4mb
    additional memory 40 mb ( ? )
    SCSI 1 500mb
    SCSI 2 2GB ( Woooo )

seems to run just fine and has a bunch of apps on it.

Let me know

Trash day is Tues.

Scott

Ps I looked up 7200 on ebay and some guy has a similar setup with lots of extras current bid $9.99. So I guess it is not even worth selling as a lot. The shipping to GrayFox would have been $50.00
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    If I had room for it I would drive down and pick one up, if only as a novelty. Those rigs are from the era where one could have plausibly considered Mac's to be superior to Windows rigs in both hardware and OS.

...but let's not get sidetracked by that comment, please... ;)