random drop of wireless connection.

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
a week or so ago, i got a netgear wireless router to provide wireless access to two of the laptops at my house, and took a while for me to config it since i'm hooking it up to another router, but i finally got it all configured and working.

after about couple days of using it, i noticed that the wireless connection would randomly drop, and would not connect again until i power off the wireless router and restart it. after the wireless connection is dropped, i noticed the wireless connection indication LED is off, and it will come on again if i power off the router and restart. During the wireless outage, my desktop which is connected to the wireless router with cat5 stills works fine, so it's only the wireless part of the router is messing up,

any suggestions guys??

Comments

• MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited August 2005
    I think my brother had that same problem with a netgear wireless router. He bought a LinkSys and hasn't had the problem since.

I'm not saying it's a bad router, but it sure sounds that way...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    is there a cordless phone in use nearby? My older 2.4 GHz cordless phone base drops all wireless connections in a decent radius when it's in use.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    try different channels
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'd get very low transfer rates from my Linksys router when it was on channel 6, which is apparently the standard operating channel for 2.4Ghz phones (we have 4.)

Changed it to channel 11, as per request from LinkSys on their website, and the problem was solved.