both dvd burner and cd burner failing

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Both cd and dvd burner (Aopen and NEC) in my computer failed to write at the same time. Could this be XP (SP2)? I was backing up a friend's laptop. I had copied files from it on to a USB drive. I then found that the music files on included in the backup had licences. I deleted the music files, and tried to copy the remaining files. They seem to write, but then the program (latest Nero 6) freezes, and Windows Explorer crashes, and I have to turn the power off because the computer won't restart.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    find out which IDE channel those drives are on, and whether they are master or slave. then go into the device manager and under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, click on the appropriate IDE channels. go to the advanced settings tab and make sure the channel that your drive is on is set to "DMA Mode if Available". if either drive is set to PIO mode, that's your problem.

however, if either drive is set to PIO mode and DMA if available is already selected, the only way I know to fix your problem is to reformat.

lets make sure thats the problem first though :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    check the cable too. Try a different one if you've got another.
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks for comments. BUt both drives DMA and working perfectly until I tried copying the music files. I am using Datasafe media which worked fine before, and which work on my own laptop. I think either XP is doing something funny because I tried to copy licenced music (unbeknownst to me). Why else would both drives, up till then working perfectly for nine months, fail at the same time?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Have you tried burning a different set of files (non-music) to narrow down the problem? It might be worth wasting a blank disc just to find out. :)
  • edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Have you tried burning a different set of files (non-music) to narrow down the problem? It might be worth wasting a blank disc just to find out. :)
    Yes. No files will burn. I've wasted several discs. Files won't burn using Windows either. Sometimes I get fixation error. Sometimes Nero stalls when verifying. Am I going to have reinstall Windows? I also have a USB burner that I use with my laptop. I haven't tried connecting that yet to my desktop.
    edited August 2005
    Try uninstalling both drives, plus the IDE channel(s) they are on. Reboot and let Windows find them again. Then cross your fingers. :cool:

You might also try a free trial of BlindWrite just to make sure that the problem isn't with Nero.
  • edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Try uninstalling both drives, plus the IDE channel(s) they are on. Reboot and let Windows find them again. Then cross your fingers. :cool:

You might also try a free trial of BlindWrite just to make sure that the problem isn't with Nero.

Tried uninstalling both drives, but didn't feel like risking the IDE channels. No joy with that. Then tried BlindWrite which worked perfectly. So then uninstalled Nero, with the Nero removal tool, reinstalled Nero and it works.
    Thank you very much. :cool:
    edited August 2005
    Glad you got it. :)
  • edited August 2005
    I've been away. In fact the problem wasn't solved. I was misled by DVDs writing OK. But neither drive will do CDs. I'm using Datasafe 52x silver premium, and had no problems until trying to copy registered mp3s. Is Windows XP causing the problem?
  • edited August 2005
    I should add that My Computer is very slow to update from both drives. To repeat, these CD problems arose at the same tim e with both burners.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    One of my dad's optical drives died and stopped the other that was on the same channel from working. You could try removing one, testing the other, and then vice versa to try to pin down the problem.