NEC 3540a

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
im lookin at this burner cause ive heard so much good stuff about it but I want to know if its dual layer before i laydown the money. btw, is there any better burner on the market for the money. I heard this doesnt have buffer under-run protection, is that true :scratch::confused:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Thus sayeth Newegg:
    NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

DL = Dual Layer

I didn't see any reference to buffer under-run protection at NEC's site, but judging from the software it's compatible with I would guess that it does. It would be pretty weird for any burner these days not to support it.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2005
    Dont make fun of me for this :banghead: but what does dual layer mean(2 layers of what). I've never really been into burning cd's/dvd's and i have never bothered researching.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Dual-Layer means that the disc has twice the capacity of a "normal" disc. Think of it like having one disc stacked right on top of another. :)

The first layer gets burned like usual, then the laser re-focuses itself and writes to the second layer. The discs are the same size physically, they just have an extra layer of media embedded in the plastic. A standard DVD can hold up to 4.7GB of data; Dual-Layer discs go up to 9.4GB. This is handy for movies exceeding two hours or archiving lots of data on one disc. Then you have double-sided dual-layer discs which hold gobs of data! :eek:

You can read more here.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    yeah...alrighty then i guess i missed that little dl...wasnt lookin very hard. I guess its time to add a round cable and the burner to the basket.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2005
    Hmm, maybe i should buy one of those. I know it will come in handy sometime
  • edited August 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    Hmm, maybe i should buy one of those. I know it will come in handy sometime
    Just be aware that DL discs are expensive. For example, this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817507001

Is a 3-pack Verbatim DL DVD-R at x4 speed. 17 bucks. That's over 5 dollars per disc. Unless it's really that important to you, get a standard single-layer disc. A 25 pack of Verbatim x16 speed DVD-R's cost me 10 bucks at Best Buy (when on sale, normally 20 bucks). That's about 40 cents per blank disc.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2005
    The NEC 3540a is one of the best buys out at the moment. I've got one in my flock and it's a sterling piece of kit at a great price. But yeah, Dual Layer DVD's are almost as much as the drive itself.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    This is what Nero InfoTool says about mine:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'm concerned about my Plextor, I would have thought most standard DVD drives could at least read DVD+/-R DL discs, but even my non-DL RW can't...