How's OpenOffice these days?

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
I haven't used Linux or OpenOffice for at least a year and this new MS Genuine Windows Validation crap is pissing me off. I'm not trying to change the world and get everyone to use Linux instead but I'm thinking of trying to use Linux more and more as my everyday desktop at home and only boot into Windows if I really have to. The thing that use to hold me back big time was games, but I hardly ever play games on my computer anymore, it's mostly Xbox for me these days (how ironic I should be complaining about one MS product yet using another.) I don't get to play much of any games at all these days with the baby around either way.

So I'm thinking about what apps I use on a daily basis and those are Winamp, Azureus, and Firefox. Occasionaly I need to use Nero, Winrar, utilities like that, which I know there are equivalents for in Linux. The only thing that I need to be able to use besides those is MS Office. I know about Wine but it's always been a pain in the ass for me. Then there's Crossover Office or whatever it's called, but that costs a lot doesn't it? I'm a cheap bastard, work with me here. That's why I'm wondering about OpenOffice and if it's gotten better at handling MS Office files. The last time I used it, it would screw up basic Excel files just enough that they loooked wrong. They still looked similar but since I didn't know how to use OpenOffice I found it a pain to try to get it formatted the way I had it in the first place.