New Nvidia nForce 4 SLI X16 Chipset

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Anandtech has the low down on a new SLI Chipset for both AMD & Intel that can offer up 40 PCIe lanes for full speed Dual 16x PCIe Video
The upgrade to nForce4 SLI X16 is more of an upgrade than an overhaul. This solution expands NVIDIA's core logic solution to two chips rather than one. The current nForce4 MCP will act as the southbridge and will be connected to the new AMD nForce4 System Platform Processor (SPP) via its HyperTransport link (usually connected to the processor). This gives 8GB/s bandwidth between the AMD MCP and SPP. Added latency over the HT link shouldn't be very high and we don't suspect that it will have an impact on anything. The SPP and MCP each provide x16 PCI Express links along with a few other choice features.

As the Intel core logic solution already incorporates an SPP, the upgrade for the Intel nForce4 SLI X16 is even simpler. Since the MCP included on the current Intel chipsets simply has its PCI Express lanes disabled; enabling them is all NVIDIA needs to do. The total number of available PCI Express lanes on Intel nForce4 SLI X16 based systems comes to 40 after the SPP and MCP are added together. These lanes can be divided up into 9 different slots. AMD based systems will offer 38 lanes over up to 7 slots. This means we could see a bunch of x1 or x2 slots, but since PCI Express cards can plug into larger slots and this solution has lanes to spare, we'd like to see some larger connectors on these consumer motherboards. There aren't any widely available parts to make full use of the bandwidth now, but motherboards that cost upwards of $200 should be somewhat future proof and flexible.
Source: Anandtech

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    This appears to be a single processor implementation of the dual processor Opteron solution I'm running on my Tyan board. Cool!!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    I guess you can say it's better....

The Inq
    Unlike the NForce Pro line, the 2200 and 2050 chips, the new X16 does not need a second CPU and a second HT link to work right. In fact, it even works on Intel, getting them closer to being back in the gaming game.

BUT....

Techreport
    Even NVIDIA's press release concedes that dual sixteen-lane slots won't mean much for performance in current applications (compared to dual eight-lane slots.)

BUT!! Nvidia will be able to say that their Dual x16 is better than ATI Dual x8 configs. :)

I wonder if the SLI X16 chipset can be configured for 4 x8 slots (x16 coneectors)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    38 lanes over 7 slots :eek: Nice! :cool:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    they got it right this time? ;D
    I may add this one to my wish list!
    edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    they got it right this time? ;D
    Only if you can add a 4x/8x/16x Hard Drive controller in the other 16x slot if you're only running a single Video Card
    edited August 2005
    Omega,
    I don't think you'd really use up a 16x capacity with any hdd controller and drive setup currently available, could you? From what I understand, even 8X is more than enough bandwidth. With a 2X slot being roughly equivilent to a PCI-X133 slot, it sounds more like a 4X slot with an LSI320-2e SCSI card in it would scream like a banshee and still leave plenty of room for audio or what have you. Please tell me if I'm all screwed up!!
    edited August 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    Omega,
    I don't think you'd really use up a 16x capacity with any hdd controller and drive setup currently available, could you? From what I understand, even 8X is more than enough bandwidth. With a 2X slot being roughly equivilent to a PCI-X133 slot, it sounds more like a 4X slot with an LSI320-2e SCSI card in it would scream like a banshee and still leave plenty of room for audio or what have you. Please tell me if I'm all screwed up!!
    Your Screwed UP! Even video cards dont use the bandwidth of a 16x slot

But the point I'm making is currently the extra slot is completely wasted if youre running a single videocard.. A motherboard with 2 8x or 16x slots should allow the use of another I/O card in the unused slot and not just be dedicated to Video. And a HDC Ram cache WILL use all available bandwidth for bursts.

A I-Ram card with a PCIe data interface instead of a SATA interface would deliver on it's potential as an ultra high speed HD.
    edited August 2005
    No, you're agreeing with me, essentially! As far as I know, enabling "SLI" on, for example, my A8N-SLI Dlx, "powers up" the other PCI-e slot and you CAN put, say an hdd controller or audio card in it. All it is supposed to do is break up the 16 lanes and redistribute them. There is nothing on the motherboard that inherently makes that other PCI-e slot a video card only slot. At least that's what I'm seeing on other forums as it is a hot discussion topic these days.

And, well, I may be screwed up after all. I bought an 850SSI!! ;D
    edited August 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    No, you're agreeing with me, essentially! As far as I know, enabling "SLI" on, for example, my A8N-SLI Dlx, "powers up" the other PCI-e slot and you CAN put, say an hdd controller or audio card in it. All it is supposed to do is break up the 16 lanes and redistribute them. There is nothing on the motherboard that inherently makes that other PCI-e slot a video card only slot. At least that's what I'm seeing on other forums as it is a hot discussion topic these days.

And, well, I may be screwed up after all. I bought an 850SSI!! ;D
    You're quoting the theory. In reality it didn't work for Tex when he tried it.
    edited August 2005
    No, as a matter of fact, it DID work for Tex. Turns out he had a dead controller. He has since tried it with 2 other SCSI raid cards and both work!
    edited August 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    No, as a matter of fact, it DID work for Tex. Turns out he had a dead controller. He has since tried it with 2 other SCSI raid cards and both work!
    It DId! Well I stand corrected!

l I humbly bow to your superior knowledge! :respect::respect::respect:
    edited August 2005
    It's just more free time to browse forums, not anything to do with knowledge! That and the fact that I'm still trying to get my dually to boot without an xp install disk in the cd drive! So, I am constantly trying to find info on my K8WE/320-2X combo and there have been huge discussions on PCI-e uselessness or perceived uselessness all over the place. Watching Tex's ministrations in getting his to work were interesting, if nothing else! In the end, he was much more of a gentleman than I would have been upon finding out that all the crap I had been through was due to a bad card!!

Peace!