Laptop only recognizes one DIMM slot

khankhan New
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I was installing 2 new sticks of 256 mb RAM for my girlfriend in her laptop...she has the same model as I (Inspiron 1100) and the RAM had been tested in my laptop (both sticks, memtest for 30 minutes).

When I went to install the RAM, I noted the computer was off (all lights off), so I pulled the RAM cover, and installed both sticks, pulling out the 2 old sticks of 128. She then tells me that the computer was in hibernate mode. I didn't think that would be a big deal (computer state stored to hard drive, not RAM), and booted. It only recognized 256 of memory installed.

After some testing (swapping the sticks around) I realized that both sticks will be recognized when they are installed in DIMM B (laptop has two slots, DIMM A and B) by themselves. When installed in DIMM A alone, laptop refuses to boot. When installed together, it boots but only recognizes 256mb of the 512mb total.

What could be the cause of this, and what (if anything) can I do to fix it?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    hehh heh hehhh hmmmm.

you may have a problem there. i dont think there is much you can do to fix a dysfunstional dimm short of replacing the mobo.