OCguru on Abit AN8 Fatal1ty problem!!

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Hi guys need some advice to what is the problem here, I get the following error: -

'OCguru: OCgurue.exe Application error

The instruction at ''0x7c1768a1'' referenced memory at ''0x0015701c''. The memory could not be ''read''

Click ok to terminate the program.'

Hope someone can please tell me what the problem is, I have even removed and re-installed the program! I have the program start on when windows starts at Turbo mode, but if you try to exit the program or shut down windows that message appears.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    any help please? :-)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Give it more than 6 hours, heh. Could be lots of reasons though, does it crash with the same error every time you try and run it? If so it just sounds like a dodgy piece of software. I've had things that crash every time on exit before too, they're just badly made...
  • edited August 2005
    give it 6 hours? thing is it doesnt always do it, i turned off the program and got the error message then ran it again and when i closed it the program was fine no errors.

Is all overclocking software made badly? as NVTUNE just hangs when i try to run it!
    edited August 2005
    I meant give the post more than 6 hours before expecting a reply ;)

Yeah, if multiple things are doing it then it sounds like you've overclocked too far. Try running Memtest and Prime95...
  • edited August 2005
    but my cpu can go well over 2371mhz as OCguru has oc'd it in turbo mode, it can go over 2.6ghz from what i have read.
    edited August 2005
    Erm, how exactly can you read somewhere how much your processor will overclock? There isn't anything anywhere that says your processor will reach xxxx Mhz, it's purely luck although some are known to have better chances than others. Just because you can set something to a speed it doesn't mean it's stable.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2005
    Yes, i agree with enverex and not only that, but Other factors come into play, such as memory speed Processor cooling and such. Just cause one fella reaches 3.9ghz with his P4E doesnt mean you will. There are many factors in the OC arena!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    It could be the processor has more headroom to OC, but the memory doesn't. There's a weak link somewhere in the OC, it sounds like. Do you still get this error when your system isn't OC'd?

Try running your system full load for awhile to see if it crashes. Stability just sitting at the desktop isn't any indication of what will happen when you start running games and such. Folding@Home is a good way to push the CPU. A newish game should push the whole system.
  • edited August 2005
    My system is fine on normal its this OCguru software when running on Turbo mode that comes up with the error otherwise if not running it my PC is fine.
  • edited August 2005
    meh stopped using that blasted software oh well.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    You should still be able to OC using the BIOS. I kinda don't trust software tools for OCing.
  • edited August 2005
    so any ideas what i should touch in the bios i have an abit an8 fatal1ty board :)
  • edited May 2006
    Same problem here on an AN8 Ultra mb

Only when I close ocguru I receive this

'OCguru: OCgurue.exe Application error

The instruction at ''0x7c15aeee'' referenced memory at ''0x0015efd4''. The memory could not be ''read''

Click ok to terminate the program.'

Any idea ?:banghead:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I had some problems with it as well, just had to uninstall it, don't need it anyways.
  • edited May 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I had some problems with it as well, just had to uninstall it, don't need it anyways.

I would uninstall it , but I find it very useful to control fan speed and clock .
    Can you suggest me an alternative software to ocguru ?
    I have an amd athlon 64 3200 with abit an8 ultra.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    If you really want it you might wanna try asking on the Abit forums... or do a search I am pretty sure this is a known issue and they have a work around for it. My problem was that it would take up 100% of my CPU at all times... ohh well.
  • edited October 2006
    I'm also getting almost the same error message:
    The instruction at ''0x7c1768a1'' referenced memory at ''0x0016701c''. The memory could not be ''read''
    However I am not overclocking the processor just using uguru to run the fans in quiet mode!
    Have been running the application without any problems since last November and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed for this error to start appearing.
    I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing uguru and also ran chkdsk with no joy.
    Application runs on startup and error message only appears when I close this down, if I start programme again and then close it no error appears.:(
    Will post if I find a resolution.