two words Bios and x64

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Well on my asus A8N-E motherboard they use Phoenix Award BIOS flash tool. Well just my luck my bios is undetected from installation. Now I need to update the BIOS using a bootable floppy. Well thx to x64 it cant run 16-bit apps (MS-DOS) so i cant use the flash tool. The error message is as follows

The program or feature "\??\A:AWDFLASH.EXE" cannot start or run due to incapability with 64-bit versions of windows. Please contact the software vender to see if 64-bit version is available.

I mean i tried using command prompt with no luck. I also looked at their site and didnt have luck(see http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35944). Well i would appreciate some input on how i can get around this. Time to experiment.

Comments

• JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    I'd go to ASUS's website and download the .bin version of the bios.

Then I'd save it as the only file on a floppy, and reboot my computer.

I believe ASUS standard is hitting either F2, or ALT+F2 at boot time.

That will load the award bios flash tool, and it will scan the diskette in your floppy disk drive.

Seeing only one file, it'll auto-load it to the BIOS.
  • edited August 2005
    Mike, if you want to flash from a floppy, go to the front page to the boot disk section of our downloads and d/l the drdflash file, which will make a flashing boot disk on your floppy. Then copy the bin file and the appropriate dos based flashing program that Asus says to use to flash your board with and boot with the floppy you just made and run the flashing proggie.
  • edited August 2005
    ok ill try it thx
  • edited August 2005
    ok when flashing i noticed 2 blocks that said no update.
  • edited August 2005
    Another question...It still isnt detecting my BIOS. And nothing changed i guess.
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    The two blocks that are No Update happen on my related board to yours (SLI Premium). I don't think that's a major issue.

Is the motherboard giving you a specific error when you boot? For a few boots on my board, I was getting a corrupt BIOS error, though the eventual problem wound up being a piece of RAM I was using.

However, I also tried flashing the BIOS from the CD, (dropped it to rev 1001 for me), then re-upping it to 1005, then to 1007.002 beta (my versions are different than yours, yes) and that solved the problem enough for it to throw a far more meaningful error message.

If you still can't get your motherboard to reflash the BIOS, you may be best off RMAing it.
  • edited August 2005
    k i succesfully flashed the bios but didnt realize it. All i needed was an internal harddrive but there are unkoown devices on my manager that confuse me now. And it may e my graphics card