Been playing with Terragen....

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Not completly done yet, had to add a planet for ****s and giggles though.... :p

I'd say 50% done right now, plus I have lots of other things to add in that Terragen doesn't support.

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2005
    beautiful.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Very nice. I've been meaning to putz around with Terragen, but I haven't yet. How long did that take to render? And was it a full render, or just a quickie to see what it looks like generally?

For planets, this tutorial is very good: http://www.skyetis.com/Tutorial/tut.html

I haven't actually done one yet, because I'm too lazy, but it doesn't look overly difficult :)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    What you see is about a week of work with about 3 hours give or take an hour per day. The render took probably 30 minutes, I wasn't timing it. The planet I just photochopped in quick and dirty, I was waiting for a separate render to finish with just the land rendered, but got too tired to wait. Plus I was doing PS work and terragen work at the same time thus adding to the render time.

I still wanna add a TON of texturing to it, and photochop in a couple boats, a bunch of rocks, and quite a few tree's, my idea wasn't a desert scene, but a nice beautiful nature scene. I'll be painting in all that stuff, not chopping in material. Same with the planet, I happened upon a 6000x3000 px(I don't recall the actual dimensions, but it was BIG) image of Saturn on google, so I used it.

This is a full render in detail settings, but I haven't really messed withe the atmospheric settings very much, I did spend a good amount of time on it, but terragen crashed on me so I lost much work.

Unfortunatly, terragen is prone to crashing. It's a good program to learn your "save every 5 damned minutes" routine on. Last night though it only crashed once, and I was doing a lot of stuff at the same time along side of running terragen.

It's a fun program, nothing to call yourself a TURE ARTIST by, but honestly, I'd say that if you put your time into anything to create what you see in your head.... then that is artistry. I don't care if it's a giant picture made of glued on noodles. If it looks good, it looks good. But as I mentioned already I plan on taking this image a few steps further by painting in several details that terragen doesn't do.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Looks a lot better than any of the outdoor environments of this scale I've seen in any video games. :thumbsup: Too bad the geologic layers don't dip, though (I'm sure that's simply not an option in the software).
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    How do you mean "dip"? The software can't create things like caves, only up and down points really, or a cliff even, unless it's straight down and not curving inwards.

But that's where painting in details really comes in. I figured I might actually just use this as a basis for a painting for the basic layout of it all, then just actually redo it all as a digital painting.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Very nice. I've been meaning to putz around with Terragen, but I haven't yet. How long did that take to render? And was it a full render, or just a quickie to see what it looks like generally?

For planets, this tutorial is very good: http://www.skyetis.com/Tutorial/tut.html

I haven't actually done one yet, because I'm too lazy, but it doesn't look overly difficult :)

Neat tutorial.... trying it out now :thumbsup: