whats the pci-e for?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
alright..so pci-e is a faster bus but what i dont understand, is why mobo manufactures are putting it on the board if the only one that will be used is the pci-e 16x slots, i have yet to see a sound card, video caputre card, raid card, or anything for the mater that uses pci-e 1x, 2x, or 4x???? whens it coming, cause i wouldnt want vacant slots that have nothing to fill them with. are there products in development or is it for something else?

Comments

• tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited August 2005
    alright..so pci-e is a faster bus but what i dont understand, is why mobo manufactures are putting it on the board if the only one that will be used is the pci-e 16x slots, i have yet to see a sound card, video caputre card, raid card, or anything for the mater that uses pci-e 1x, 2x, or 4x???? whens it coming, cause i wouldnt want vacant slots that have nothing to fill them with. are there products in development or is it for something else?

Graphic PCI e cards are the 1st mass produced PCI e hardware - the next generation of raid cards and network cards will also be PCI e
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    just wondering, usualy there is some hardware to back-up a new platform.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    just wondering, usualy there is some hardware to back-up a new platform, guess the vid cards are all there is for now.

:wtf: yeah, and the three (of many) things that I just linked you.... :wtf:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    his post was one minute after yours, so I assume he didn't see it :p
    edited August 2005
    yeah, i was typing while you posted, so therefore i didnt have the chance to see it. little bit of lag left on the internet still ya know.....dont need to blow a headgasket over it though.

btw, those are some pretty cool products though :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    BTW

Most of us have most slots of all kinds empty. So it is not a bad thing but actually good!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    BTW

Most of us have most slots of all kinds empty. So it is not a bad thing but actually good!

Very true, I've had nothing but a graphics card in my PCs for years :D Feels like I should just dremmel my board into an mATX.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Very true, I've had nothing but a graphics card in my PCs for years :D Feels like I should just dremmel my board into an mATX.

If you do that successfully, please let me know how you manage the feat! :D
    edited August 2005
    dont mind leavin pci slots open, cause i know that i can put something there if need be, but i was just wondering about pci-e, cause i didnt know of any products, but now i do.