Local printer problems

edited August 2005 in Hardware
So here's the deal:

I have about 10 computers (with the same amount of users) on a domain consisting of computers running Windows 2K, 98, and XP at a job site. Today I moved a printer from one machine to another, and shared it on the new machine (both machines running Win2K).

After connecting the printer to the computer (it's parallel, if that's important), I logged into the domain's admin account and added the printer. I was able to share and print a test page without any problems.

Then I logged out of the admin account on that same machine and logged back into the machine with the account which will be primarily logged into the machine and using the printer.

While the printer is installed and shared, I am unable to print to it at all, including the Windows test page. When I try to print anything, it acts like the document is going to the spooler, but the spooler is empty, and nothing happens. No error messages or anything. I can go back into the admin account and still print without any trouble, and even when I create the printer from the regular domain user, I still cannot print to it unless I'm logged in as an admin. :banghead:

I checked the local user permissions, and the regular domain user is part of the Admin group locally.

Is there anything else I'm overlooking? PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    Can you use runas to run IE as admin, browse to control panel, printers and faxes, and print test page that way? If so I would try rebuilding the windows profile of the account that cannot print. Also try cycling print spooler service. also as admin right click on a blank spot in printers folder and choose server properties, and remove any references to that printer driver, reboot, log back in as admnin and re-install printer.

Not necessarily in that order.

EDIT: sorry, win2k. ****can the runas part.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    He figured it out. The profile in question had something about use available IRQ for local printing or some crap. When he disabled it, it started working.
  • EnverexEnverex
    bows down to Prime's amazing telepathy

;D
    Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    bows down to Prime's amazing telepathy

;D
    edited August 2005
    my psychic powers tell me that thesmj is currently in the bathroom...... :ninja:
  • edited August 2005
    As a matter of fact, the option for the LPT port in Device Manager was set to "Never use an IRQ" rather than "Always use an IRQ", or "Try not to use an IRQ". Setting it to "Try not to use an IRQ" fixed the issue.

I didn't even know those options existed in the DM for the LPT port. I just happened to find them and try changing them because I had done everything else beyond calling M$ and crying like a little bitch! :eek:
    edited August 2005
    well, actually you did cry like a little bitch:

Dave: "Thom, what do I do?"

Thom: "Figure it out, dave"

Dave: "Fine...."

Dave calls Brian, who is sitting five feet from thom, and heard the conversation.

Dave: "Brian, what do I do?"

Brian: "Figure it out, Dave"

Dave: "Fine..."

Dave IMs Brian 3 seconds later

TheSMJ: "What do I do?"

Brian: "I am going to destroy your face, dave. FIGURE IT OUT"

Dave: "Fine...."

I'd qualify that as crying like a little bitch....
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    It's always nice to be able to fall back on the wisdom and experience of your co-workers. ;D
  • edited August 2005
    1. I never said anything beyond "Dude" when I IMed you. I wasn't looking for answers any more than just looking to vent my frustration (shut up - you do it too). You said you were "pulling my hair out busy", but kept talking to me for a few minutes after anyhow.

2. Even though you were both in the same room when I called you and Thom, you BOTH gave somewhat different advice. Neither of you were useful in solving the problem (heh), but the simple fact that you both were able to give different advice made both calls potentially useful, no?

3. I was called a n00b after I called to let you know I figured out the problem and was going to head back to the office... yet neither of you were able to figure out the "obvious" solution on your own. o_0
    edited August 2005
    n00b