Possibly zapped by lightning?

R3-XinoenR3-Xinoen San Antonio, TX, USA
edited August 2005 in Hardware
So the other night, there was a pretty nasty lightning storm where I live... It did manage to knock the power out while I had left my computer on to fold; but when I woke up (after my loud printer making its restart noises), it was in the process of posting.

...However, to avoid it going down with the power again, I turned the system itself off and left for a few hours. When I returned, and tried to turn the computer on again, the case fan, mobo/CPU fan, and case lights turned on; but there was no beep from what I can remember; and then every light went dark and all the fans stopped spinning.

I've tried unplugging the computer itself, and hitting the power button again... Doesn't work. ...Sometimes if I try to plug the cord back into the PSU, the computer will start its fans and lights, but power down again. I haven't tried unplugging the surge protector itself, that's something I'll try when I go back home... But what do you guys have to suggest me to try? I'm thinking it might be the PSU, but am unsure and have limited resources to test voltages/outputs with. :/

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    that sounds like a power supply problem that can't get enough power from a certain rail. Try another psu and then go from there.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    You might also try removing and/or unplugging everything except RAM, CPU, and Video Card. If it starts, then add in your boot HD. If you're still good, add the rest of the components in one-by-one until you find the stinker.

If you have a spare PSU I would start with what pilotwings told you and switch them out.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    I had lightning do an EMP on my system, taking out random parts of the MOBO and vid card. Funny think was that the computer still worked great as long as I used a USB keyboard/mouse and a different vid card.

Sounds like maybe your PSU got tagged. The way I troubleshoot a lighting hit is to take everything out of your MOBO, look for physical blackmarks on the board, then start putting things back in one at a time while powering up to see if its recognized by the comp.

Its a bit tedious, but it works.
  • R3-XinoenR3-Xinoen San Antonio, TX, USA
    edited August 2005
    A new PSU did indeed solve my problem; scrapped the decrepit Comp Usa/generic one in favour of a shiny new Antec and it's not only working, but it's so much more quiet! :D

Now I can get back to Folding.

Thanks!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    It should also more stable and effcient now :).