Broken heat sink/fan mount

DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I received a system from a customer today for testing, and upon opening it I heard/felt that something was loose inside. Sure enough, the heat sink and fan were loose. When I tried to reattach it, I found that the stub on one side of the socket mount was broken, where the clip slides over top. I suspect it happened in shipping, as the unit was working when it left the customers (they were having an unrelated problem.) I think it was due to poor packing in the shipment, it was loosely packed with styro chips top and bottom :rolleyes:

Now, because this system is a specialized media server, and it comes in a 1 Rack Unit chasis, I can't do a lot of modding, nor can I replace the mounting (it would have to go back to the factory for that.

So, my question: can I glue that side of the heat sink/fan down to the socket mount? Would a hot glue gun work? Would the glue get too hot and melt? Any other suggestions short of replacing the mount?

Dexter...

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    Epoxy?

Or some other non-heat sensitive adhesive.

Bailing wire if they will never go into the box themselves but tell them that you had to use some un-orthodox methods to get it back up and running!!

Just spitballing here!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    if the hsf never needs to come off again, you could use thermal epoxy to attach it to the processor
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited August 2005
    I had that same problem with my compaq. the clip would just barley hold on to what was left so I put 2 part epoxy/ jb weld / on it and it held. It was a athlon cpu/mother board.
    I think some of the high performance heat sincs have a clip that clips to the outer stub/notch attaching points because of the extra weight.
    Id say contact the mb manufactuer to see if they have that clip.