4 pin ATX 12v power plug

JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have an Asus k8n and a sempron 2800+ pcu. My psu does not have the square four pin 12 volt power plug, is it possible to run this machine without this source?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    If you're lucky, yes. I wouldn't want to rely on doing it that way, though.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I just helped a friend on tuesday with that same mobo who could not get it to post and his PSU didn't have the 4 pin 12v plug. I powered it up with a spare I had that has the 4 pin plug just fine. So the answer is it will not work. Just get a new quality PSU. Chances are that if the PSU doesn't have it it is either too old to use or is way too cheap.
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, it is really old. 185watts. Probably wouldn't even fire this thing up. It was the only thing i had laying around the house. I have a Rosewill Value RV300 ATX 300W Power Supply on order...$9.99 is a heck of a deal.

Just getting anxious to power it up.

I read somewhere that you can splice a molex 4 pin to a square 4 pin and it would work.. Anyone try that?
    edited August 2005
    JRW21 wrote:
    ...I read somewhere that you can splice a molex 4 pin to a square 4 pin and it would work.. Anyone try that?
    I don't see any reason it wouldn't, provided the PSU had enough oomph to power the extra lead.

185W isn't going to make it no matter what you do, though... :o
  • edited August 2005
    JRW21 wrote:
    I have a Rosewill Value RV300 ATX 300W Power Supply on order...$9.99 is a heck of a deal.

I'm sorry to say it, but if they're selling it for $10, it's a peice of crap.

IMO, that's a pretty low wattage for a modern system anyhow.
    edited August 2005
    Compare the one you picked out:
    +3.3V@28A; +5V@30A; +12V@15A;

To this one:
    +3.3V@30A; +5V@40A; +12V@18A;
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    edited August 2005
    ok, it is better. But, is it horrible for $10 bucks +shipping? I'm not running anything that needs that much more power. Does the extra amperage really help that much??
    edited August 2005
    Most people here will disagree with me, but if you feel like taking a chance - go for it. If it's not up to snuff you aren't out that much dough, anyway.

The reason for going ahead and getting something more robust with a proven track record is that you can pretty much just plug it in and forget it. If you go with the bargain model you might be OK, then again you might not.

If money is tight for you right now, my advice would be to try the el-cheapo PSU and cross your fingers. Down the road you can always upgrade it and keep the old one as an emergency backup. It's handy to have a spare PSU around.

OTOH, if you can afford it, get something better. :)
  • edited August 2005
    Also keep in mind that when those cheap PSUs die, they have the tendency to take things with them. I had a cheapo PSU die on me, and it literally burnt the hard drive's controller board along with it (complete with smoke effects, the sound of gunfire and a burnt plastic smell).
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    edited August 2005
    Alight, sold. I will get a better quality model. Thanks for the help.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I am of the opinion that a PSU should cost at least as much as your motherboard. Just think of it this way;

If the CPU is the brain and the mobo is the central nervous system, then the PSU is the heart that pumps the life giving blood. Even a tiny little ripple in its performance can be fatal as it directly affects everything in your system!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    after years of experience, some of it horrible and bitter, I am with mtgoat on this one. You CANNOT skimp on your PSU. It's suicidal.