6600GT PCI-E XFX Extreme VS Far Cry

edited April 2006 in Hardware
Well on the first screen of the options for video on the game it says hi end pc so its on max settings then on the advanced screen you select auto detect and some settings are on either high or medium! my card is an over clocked 6600gt extreme gamers edition by XFX 128mb and athlon 64 3500 cpu overclocked with 1gb OCZ ultra performance ram cl2.5 512mbx2 PC3200.

however the game runs fast but in certain areas i see anomolies i.e. plants flashing quickly and other strange bits in some areas but not everwhere and its not the kind of anomolies where the graphics is broken up etc, also it lags a little when shooting but then is ok...are my settings too high for my spec? or could i do with another 2x512mb memory modules of the same?

Comments

• SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited August 2005
    whats up super..i have had the same problems..but with a little work it no longer does any of that...first off how much are you overclkin...sound like youre card is over heating some...second in youre settings for youre nvidia card you will see profiles..i like to keep my profile settings on doom 3 when playing far cry..seem to play smoooth when i have that running...third the 64bit patch that is avalible makes the game kickass ans looks so good..its a 500 mb patch but it rocks...i have had the game for a while and with these settings i no longer have any grafix problems at all..
    565|1.21ghz|77.72drivers
  • edited August 2005
    hi mate, my card is overclocked using the nvidia own clocking utility and its at

548 core clock
    1.18 memory clock

and my gpu core temp on idle is only 48c

oh and the 64bit patch i dont have windows 64 as i hear you cant use 32bit applications? i.e. i have norton etc will that still work? i am using windows xp sp2 if i just buy 64bit windows and install that will i be ok?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Norton (at least the current versions) wont work on Windows XP-64, no.
  • edited August 2005
    so installing winxp 64 is no good to me then oh well will wait for some 64bit apps.
    edited August 2005
    well...x64 doesnt get affected "as far as viruses" like a 32bit ver.of windows..i have had win64 for six months now and never one virus and yes mc Afee corp. suit works just fine it and this ver. of windows has and emulator that runs 98% of my softwar i have been collecting...but as far as you problem with farcry when i ovrclk my 6600gt's memory over 1.10ghz it starts to ovrheat and i get green tiangles and stuff and thats when i kick on my cooling devices to cool my card ...if you are getting discolored grafix and such you might need to back down you memory clock on youre 6600gt...Youre ram and cpu are awsome so that sould not affect youre game play...Last but not least..Do you have all the patches for farcry..i know that the latest patch came out a few days ago..i would try that and see if you get an improvement in game....good luck.. ;)

i have never had a virus..!!!! with this full ver of win64...not even the beta..you could not pay me to go back to win32!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2005
    hi thanks for the info, my card comes overclocked as standard and well i went further, however there doesnt seem to be much problems now all is ok for now lol!

Tell me on AMDandFarcry website as in on AMD's site where the 64bit patch is for the game lower down on system requirements it says min requirement is windows XP, Windows XP64bit, so does that mean i can play farcry 64bit on windows XP 32bit??

I will look out for the patch as i already downloaded loads a week ago lol
    edited August 2005
    so does that mean i can play farcry 64bit on windows XP 32bit??

No sorry 64bit patch for FarCry wont work for win 32...only win64bit full ver.... :(
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Except everyone knows that the 64bit patch doesn't actually have anything to do with 64bit processors, it just ups the graphics levels of the game but they branded it as 64bit as a marketing ploy. :shakehead
  • edited August 2005
    oh right, well i aint gonna get the winxp 64 because of the apps i use but will wait for vista i guess.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2005
    i have a similar problem with far cry, on my new machine, with a 6800gt, you move like 40 miles per hour and its all jagged and stuff. i have alot of OS issues though lol, so needless to say when my 2 other 300 gig hard drives come in ill be formatting my entire machine. i have some serious issues with file permissions. after reinstalling XP so many times keeping the directory structure, i had to take owner ship of my wntire C:\ so i could delete stuff. ugg. then there was my slipstream cd with the answerfile that for SOME reason saw XP on the C:\ so it installed the new XP to the D:\, still not sure about that one. but just so ya know your not alone, i havent found a cure for far cry, or the animated gifs going as fast as you move the mouse, thats right, leave it still they dont move, move it fast, the gifs are super speeded. :scratch:;D
    edited April 2006
    Speaking of FarCry and graphics i feel the need to post this link...its to the new game "Crysis" i cant believe how good it looks.It reminds me of when FarCry came out how thrilled i was :)

http://www.the-dirty-south.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37
    IGE preview http://pc.ign.com/articles/698/698600p1.html