HELP! can't get new machine to post

edited August 2005 in Hardware
any help on this would be appreciated! Just put together a new machine... pcchips motherboard K& 811LU, 1.8 Duro, 256 DDR ram... I think i have some issu with my video card though, because I can't get a signal out... I've tried 2 cards now, a geforce 5500 (8x) and a radeon 7000 (4x). The mobo I think is a 4x/2x, so I can understand the first card not working, but the second one should have worked... When I use the first card, the monitor status light goes solid for 2 seconds, then loses a signal, os the card is doing SOMETHING... the second card doesn't even ellicit any reaction from the monitor. Built this for a coworker since his old computer died, and need to get this together for him today.. Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated! All the fans spin up so I know the mobo is getting power, but I just don't get a signal to the monitor so I can set the bios, and install the OS...

thanks in advance for any help! ! !

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2005
    Have you tried the other cards in a computer to actually find out they do in fact work?
  • edited August 2005
    yup... tried both cards in the machine... neither one works. the 5500 gets some response, but the 7000 gets nothing. (when the 5500 is plugged in, the monitor's status light (by the button) goes on for a moment, but then goes back to blinking/no signal within 2-3 seconds)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

Do you have a PCI video card you could try? That might at least narrow it down to being an AGP problem. :)
  • edited August 2005
    yeah. according the the mobo instructions, I pulled the power from the mother board, moved the jumper for 5 seconds, and then moved the jumper back and plugged power back in...

Don't have a pci video card to try... good call though, have to see if I can dig one up. (doesn't support pci express... can't remember the last pci vid. card I've seen at a retail store!)

thanks for the suggestions! Keep 'em comin... maybe something will work =)
  • edited August 2005
    I think what Clutch was getting at was if you had tried those 2 video cards out in another machine that is known to be a working machine. You don't have to boot to windows or anything, just see if they do in fact put out a signal that your monitor can use.
  • edited August 2005
    yup.. tried the vid. cards in other machines and they worked, so I'm wondering if it's a mobo issue, and not a video card issue...
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    do the drives spin up and does the mobo post. or does it just sit there?
  • edited August 2005
    drives all spin up, fans all spin, all that jazz... If I hit del. to enter the bios, I can hear activity, but just don't get a video signal.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005
    unplug the power to the PSU. Do not use the switch, Pull the power cable out.

Remove the battery for 30 minutes. Do not use the jumper. remove the battery.

replace it.

Plug it back in and try one more time.

Tex