1GB OCZ ram to 2GB OCZ much difference?

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I already have 2x512mb PC3200 Premier OCZ ram and have bought another 2x512mb modules probably a silly question but will i notice any difference? oh and i have an athlon64 3500 venice cpu on an abit an8 fatal1ty board.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I just upgraded from 1GB to 2GB of ram, and the only place I notice any difference is BF2
  • edited August 2005
    oh so did i just waste £81? :(
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    I've seen a lot of people jump on the 2GB wagon. I suppose it really depends on what you are doing. If you are running SQL server, or intensive workstation apps, then clearly the 2GB will be beneficial, but for every day use and gaming, 1GB rarely gets completely utilized. Even HL2 barely uses 256MB once loaded up. I noticed a significant improvement between 512MB and 1024MB, but mainly when loading new maps in doom3, farcry etc. Once the game loaded up, things were pretty smooth regardless. I think the magic number right now is 1GB, anything more than that will be a minor improvement at best for everyday computing.

2GB may actually slow your PC down as well, depending on your platform. Many platforms with > 1GB ram will default to 2T timings, or reduced memory clock, which is rarely offset by the increase in allocatable memory.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    if you use photoshop or other types of image/video processing, that extra GB will be very beneficial
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    i personally am not going to be getting 2 gigs of ram for many reasons, one of the m is the cost, another is i didnt think i would see much difference, my living room computer has 512 megs and its good so i figured 1 gig would be awesome, but most games today only require 256 megs of memory, so 1 gig of memory should last you a little while.

I'm getting OCZ DDR 400 gold series with 2-2-2-5 1t timings, which i thought were totaly sick!!! I can wait for the mem to come in the mail.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    Most games today require you to have more than 512mb before it starts paging. And some applications will use more memory if you have it and if you dont it will use less memory.
    edited August 2005
    before it starts paging, i thought paging was a result of to little memory???
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    It is.

I mean it will page even if you have 512. Ive had games take that much with 1gb of RAM.
    edited August 2005
    okay, i thought they went and changed the rules on me..or you didnt know what you were talking about..