Gonna (finally) Finish My Project

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I finaly have sved enough money to finish my computer that i have dubbed project "midnight" and thought i'd run all the stuff that im getting by as many people as I can.

First, what I have now:

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro (2004)
Athlon 64 2800+ OC (2004)
256mb Patriot Mem OC (2004)
Trident 8mb Video "Accelerator" (1995)(PCI)
60 Gig Maxtor IDE hard drive (2001)
Lite-On 24x CD-ROM (1998)
Verbatim 48x CD Burner (2001)

Now for the new stuff:

GeForce 6800 GT (refurb)(hopefully) -- Moms buyin it as early christmas :thumbsup:
1 Gig DDR-400 OZC Gold Series 2-2-2-5 1t
250 Gig SATA Seagate Baracuda
NEC 3540 Black DVD Burner
Black Floppy
Bytec Card reader
520 Watt OCZ Modstream PSU
New Case Fans
CCFL Tubes
Round Cables for Floppy/DVD/60 Gig

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    I love that OCZ modstream PSU. Thats hitting my SLI rig in 2 weeks.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    well, its really rated at 480 watts, but oh well. i think it looks awesome, has plenty of power and the modular cables on it look totaly bitchin
    edited August 2005
    any thoughts??? come on guys i your opinions so that i can spend my dollar in the best way possible.
    edited August 2005
    come on guys, i know you have an opinon or something to say.. :scratch:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Maybe it's just been my luck/bad timing, but this forum seems to be less and less active/helpful. Oh well.

Do you plan on keeping the same motherboard and cpu? I would suggest, if you can, you upgrade the CPU. Or if you can just overclock it, that'll work too. I'd personally ditch the floppy. Had my computer for a year and a half and have never needed it.
    edited August 2005
    well, i dont have a cover, if i ditch it and i still have a couple of drivers on floppys, (nic, sound) but i dont have the money to upgrade mobo/proc now, what i hope to do is save up enough money while they are still makin 754 A64's and upgrade it to a 3400 or a 3700. instead of my 2800, but first i plan to buy a heatpipe cooler in a while, and put more of an overclock on my 2800, right now it has a 200 mhz overclock.

Maybe not many people are coming around because school is starting and all that hub-bub, ill give it a couple of weeks, did you get your avatar pic off of united nuclears site or did they get it from somewhere else?
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Yeah I did, in fact. Someone showed me that site way back when (when MSN Chat still existed), and I thought it was hilarious.

You're the first person to ever know where it came from (that have asked a least).
  • edited August 2005
    Looks decent to me, airbornflght. Once you have some better cooling, you can try overclocking that 2800 some more and see how it goes. Also, look around and you can find some pretty good deals on vid cards. I just ordered a new retail AGP Sapphire X800XT-PE for $229.00 from zipzoomfly this evening, which is a hell of a steal. I looked a little while ago and a bunch of other people must have thought that too because they are showing as sold out on it. Newegg's price for the same card (but not a platinum edition and oem instead of retail) is $389.00, so that was hell of a sale. :D They also had some Sapphire X850XT pci-e cards for $249.00 but those sold out fast too.
    edited August 2005
    yeah, ive known about the site for a LONG time, ive ordered there for a few times.. :D:D not for malicious purposes of course, and i kinda like the fact that they are doin pioneering research on converting cars to hydrogen and new installs. theyve made alot of progress. not to mention having about any chemical you could ever want, Thermite anyone. you can melt a hole staight through an engine block with around half a pound of the stuff. (not any engine block but a junk one of course, wouldnt want to get in trouble with the law now would we?? :rarr:

would love to get my hands on one of those cards, but alas my budget is around $200 and cant aford a $300 card, even if it is way to cheap to believe. i found a 6800GT for $210 a few nights ago made by leadtek but it sold out fairly quick (within 30 min of me seeing it) so i was outa luck there.

Waiting for another deal to come along, cause now im set on the 6800 gt, or at least a card with DDR3, 16/6 and 256 bit mem. along with decent benchmarks that meet or exceed the 6800 GT.