New motherboard old hard drive

JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
edited August 2005 in Hardware
What can I do to get my hard drive with preloaded windows XP and all my old files, programs... to run on my new motherboard?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    ummm....if its a different chipset and processor (most likely), you can do absolutely nothing as far as I know, i ran into that problem too, but luckilly i was planning on doing a clean install anyway and had previously put all my important files on cd's to reconcile later.
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    edited August 2005
    ok, thats what I thought. thanks!
  • edited August 2005
    You can do a repair install. That will force you to reinstall some programs, but you'll keep all of your files.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    yeah unless you have XP Home which doesn't work. I had to reinstall XP completely :(
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    Can you boot the old hard drive with the old computer again?

If so, just try going into device manager, and remove every device. That should force it to find all your new hardware in the new machine.
  • edited August 2005
    yeah unless you have XP Home which doesn't work. I had to reinstall XP completely :(

Wrong. You can. I've done it on my machines tens of times.
    edited August 2005
    well it didn't work on mine. I tried it 3 times.
  • edited August 2005
    It's a bit of a crapshoot, pilotwings. I've had mixed success myself with repair installs with both Win2k pro and XP. Most of the time it's worked just fine but I've had a time or 2 where I ended up doing an overlay install directly over the old install. That clears out the old install but still leaves the other files and folders on the computer intact. I just recently did an upgrade on a box from an nf2 chipset to an i875 Intel chipset and the only preparations I did beforehand was to uninstall the nvidia drivers and I didn't even have to do a repair install on it with Win2k. It just booted right up and started finding all the correct stuff. Once I loaded the new drivers, that machine was ready to get back folding. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    okay I'm talking about XP Home. Mine was OEM with the regular purchased CD, but still. I tried it 3 times, but it would never boot back into XP. It would just sit at the XP loading screen with the green bar animation. I did it right, followed the actual instructions. Pressed Enter, and then R. I'm not saying it doesnt work! I'm saying it didn't work for me!!