Whats up with my Raptor??

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Comparing my 36gb raptor to a 200gb sata150 7,200 the 200gb is faster! when i defrag on my raptor drive it takes forever. my drive doesnt seem to be faulty but why is it slow? do i need 2 raptors to get the right speed?

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited August 2005
    You can't really compare defragment times as your disks likely contain very different types of files. My guess is that your raptor contains the operating system and program files. This means its full of files of varying sizes (from small to very large) meaning that defragmenting well could be a much more difficult task. The 200 GB is likely filled with few large files (which also don't change much) so its less prone to fragmenting. Many other things can affect a defragger so the best way to benchmark your disk is something like:
    Winbench: http://www.veritest.com/benchmarks/winbench/default.asp

I know there's other utilities around that will give you more than the transfer rates .. but I'm too tired to find em. Someone else will know for sure :).
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    The ATTO disk benchmark (bench32.exe) is a classic for getting STR benchmarks. Also, you can use sisoft sandra to do some hard disk benchmarking, and you'll get average seek times, as well as STR.
  • edited August 2005
    thankyou i will give it a go
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Let us know the results, Id be interested. I just lost my primary raptor drive as it suddenly started performing like a slug for no reason.

Id suggest you take a backup of any vital data, just incase :)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Don't forget about partition size and drive and partition data densities. The larger the partition the slower it will be. When you use a higher percentage of a partition you loose performance. Most people think that if the have a XXGB partition it should all be filled up. I have found that if you limit a partition's useage to 75% you will keep your performance where it won't affect you too badly. Most drives really start to drop in performance @ 50% used and @ 75% used become more noticeable.
  • edited August 2005
    firstly i dont have a clue on how to use that bit of software you gave me, secondly i have no partition its just one drive.
    edited August 2005
    When you launch the bench32.exe application, simply change the 'Total Length' to 32MB, and click the 'Start' button. Ensure you do not use your computer while running the benchmark (ideally, you want to close any open applications). You'll get a graphical representation.

A properly functioning 36G raptor, should get close to 55,000 on the high end in both reads and writes. Most 7200rpm drives should be able to come very close to this STR, if not exceed it. But the raptor will have significiantly quicker seek times. Sisoft Sandra 2004 can compare that between your two drives.

You'll get something that looks like this (not a raptor), but an example of the output format:
  • edited August 2005
    highest i got on 1024 was 49241 write and 47934 read.

so this means my drive is naff?
  • edited August 2005
    anyone?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Your drive sounds about right :)

I think the problem with slow defrag is as previously mentioned. That you have an OS on it and alot of bitty files. Thus taking alot longer to defrag :)
    edited August 2005
    highest i got on 1024 was 49241 write and 47934 read.

so this means my drive is naff?

No, thats not too far off. How full is this drive? Once it starts getting more than 50% full or so, your speed will decrease. As mentioned above, defrag times will be longer on a system drive.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    His speeds seem a little low. My speeds in ATTO stick around 52,000 write and 47,000 read on my ~90% full cheap 160GB Maxtor SATA drive (although these speeds are higher than what I expected).
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Sandra is a much better bench for all aroung performance. ATTO only measures STR.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    How's this? Dunno why it does this, but it's always been like this for me since I got this drive, even after reformats :p
  • edited August 2005
    oh boy lol something is seriously wrong there! i dont know i guess i need to raptors to make use of the speed.