Project Raven...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
I'm working on a very big project, not big in the professional industry, but big to a beginner(so to speak). Basically, this project has the following objectives.
  1. To learn realistic drawing techniques for concept art and lifelike drawings of humans and objects.
  2. To go beyond the "anime style" of drawing I am currently used to.
  3. To achieve a great digital painting I can be really proud of.
  4. To add to my portfolio and have a new beginning area of art in the 2D Digital Painting arena.

That's the general idea right now, been contemplating this for some time now since I have no 3D programs at the moment other than Blender which is awkward to learn becuase of it's very non-standard GUI. So I have decided that for the time being I will work on my 2D ideas I have had for quite some time.

Project Raven
As I mentioned before, this is my first true Digital Painting project, I have done many anime characters before, and some decent drawings and paintings that I would have to say were more or less, "half-assed" works. This whole project is really a group of projects circling around a lone character that many of us have more than likely heard of, "Raven". Raven is a character I've grown fond of from the saturday morning cartoon called "Teen Titans" which is a new animated show that I believe is a kind of run off of past shows called Teen Titans which has been around for decades now, along with comics and other such items.

I'll be working on this project in "Milestones", each milestone takes me closer to the completed project. As of typing this post, my milestones will be setup as the following:
  1. Milestone 1: To develope a more realistic appearance to the anime character "Raven" keeping much of her features intact but being more "lifelike."
  2. Milestone 2: To further progress the new look for Raven in a "scene" in which Raven is staring at a younger version of herself in a mirror.
  3. Milestone 3: To finish off the entire scene with background elements to create a very beautfiul first time piece.
  4. Milestone 4: If all other Milestones completed.... begin secret milestone :D

The secret milestone is something I would like to do, is very unlikely, but could really get me some attention :thumbsup: It's more or less on the backburner right now since that is a ways off.

I have some current work, but I'm only showing a couple images for you guys to give some possible tips on. I don't care if you don't have any backgrond in drawing, most people don't. I need critques so I may make the drawings better and get a bigger picture of what needs to be done.

raven001.jpg

Say hello to Raven, as seen on the cartoons. I did this image from a reference I found online, I needed something to go for, a pose that is what she really looks like in the anime. So that when I draw the more lifelike images of her in the same facial pose I can better showcase her likenesses in these stages.

raven002.jpg

This is the "more" lifelike drawing of her, her head and hair needs work obviously it's sorta out of porportion. I'll be making multiple drawings of her, each time making adjustments, and thus each time progressing in my drawing technique and making her that more lifelike. That's where you guys can come in so I have less of a chance of missing something.

I tried to keep her "gothic" makeup, to me she is not a scrawney little girl from what I've seen in the cartoons, so I tried to keep her from looking like you're usually scrawney little girl, though she is petite.

That's all I can think of at the moment on this project, I hope this thread can provide some folks with some entertaining time or something as they can watch this project progress. Pardon any gramatical errors, I just gave blood, nearly passed out, and it's just been a busy day ;D