i resized my partition, will my recovery software mess up?

djshowdowndjshowdown London
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
i resized my c drive partition to accomodate the amount of programs i was installing

i now wish to go back to a previous state for my c drive

my question is

will this still be possible even though i have enlarged the c drive partition?

it would really help if i could use my backup that i made before as it would save me quite a bit of installing

someone let me know before i do summink stupid!

thanks!

Comments

• djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited August 2005
    sorry

i forgot to mention that my computer came with a system called carillon recovery

when it loads up it says norton ghost

hope that makes things a bit more clear

and i used partition magic to resize the partition
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    As long as there is still enough free space to resize the partition then yeah, there shouldn't be any problems resizing it again with Partition Magic.
    edited August 2005
    so if i use the recovery it will resize the partition to the size it was?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    No, you'll need to resize the partition the same way you did before, using Partition Magic.
    edited August 2005
    if i do it now what will happen?

if the partition is now larger would it not be possible to leave it?

or would i have to resize the partition, use the recovery, then resize again to what it is now?
    edited August 2005
    djshowdown wrote:
    if i do it now what will happen?
    If you have added so many programs that you can no longer fit them onto the original partition you won't be able to do it at all.
    if the partition is now larger would it not be possible to leave it?
    It all depends on how fussy your restore software is. Some programs expect to see a partition of a certain size and balk when they don't find it. Others don't care a bit and run normally. The only way you'll know for sure is to try.
    or would i have to resize the partition, use the recovery, then resize again to what it is now?
    I'd try it. If it doesn't work, try resizing the partition back down and give it another shot. :)
    edited August 2005
    this is the reply i got from my computer company

"When it gets to the first red screen, press 'Y' to exit, then on the next screen, press 'G' then C. This will get you into the Ghost program manually. You will need to navigate using you arrow keys, enter key and TAB (next to Q) key. Hit enter to close the box on screen. Then goto Local/ PARTITION/ FROM IMAGE. It will then open up a browse box. Place the first CD in. Wait 15 seconds to let it spin up, then choose the file '*****.GHO' Choose open and it will say 'select source partition' just hit enter. Then it will ask which destination drive. It should be the first one in the list if you have multiple drives. Select this one, then it will say 'select destination partition' Choose the Primary one and ok. If the Primary is not here, then abort. Then it will ask if you want to continue. TAB key to yes, then enter. It will then go through. It will ask to insert media halfway through if you have multiple CD's. Just put the new CD's in and wait 15 secs and enter. Once complete, take out the CD's and reboot. It can be a bit complicated, so you can call between 10:00 to 5:30 Mon to Fri. when you are in front of the machine if you need further help"

they have been really good to me and they still provide me quick responses when i get troubles

bless em

do these instructions sound right to you lot?
    edited August 2005
    djshowdown wrote:
    ...Choose open and it will say 'select source partition' just hit enter. Then it will ask which destination drive. It should be the first one in the list if you have multiple drives. Select this one, then it will say 'select destination partition' Choose the Primary one and ok...
    The only question is whether it is going to be picky about the size of the partition. The only way to find out is to try it. The worst that will happen is that it will balk, in which case you merely whip out your Partition Magic disks and resize it. I doubt the last part will even be necessary.
    do these instructions sound right to you lot?
    I would bet that it will work just fine. Go for it. :)
    edited August 2005
    thanks

you been a great help

will let you know how i get on

will be great to work with a 'boxfresh' performance machine again