Mouse decisions

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Right now I have an MX510 with some generic wireless keyboard. After a MIR I can get the MX3100 wireless desktop set for $72. But I need opinions first!

I went and tooled around with my brothers mx1000 just a bit ago. It feels like there's an almost imperceptible lag. Nothing bad, but just enough to notice, compared to my mx510. Has anyone else noticed this? If so I might just skip by this deal, because that tiny bit of lag is frustrating.

Supposedly both the mx510 and the mx1000 do 125 reports per second, which should make them equal. Maybe it's the processing time converting RF to USB?

Is it worth it? Has anyone here gone specifically from an mx510 to an mx1000?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'd wait for a minute to see how the Logitech G5 and G7 perform.
  • edited August 2005
    Since my mx510 started to **** out on me I upgraded to an mx518.

It's the best mouse I've ever used, and I've used mx1000s.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, the G7 looks spiffy, but it's brand new. Which equals costs too much.

The thing is, I don't really need to upgrade. But the whole wireless set would be nice. So it's either mx1000 or stay with mx510 for me.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Best Buys had an ad in todays paper selling the MX1000 for $50 - no rebate needed.

If I hadn't just bought a new HS/F last night I'd be down there right now. :p
    edited August 2005
    But this is the whole shindig, the mx3100. That usually goes for around $110, $120.

Am I the only one who's noticed that fractional lag? Most people say it's perfect, but I don't know.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    why not get the g5 or g7, just released, i think they are going for 70 and 100 respectively.
    edited August 2005
    I am not a "gamer" per say. I game, but I am not a gamer. While 2000dpi/500 reports per second may be cool, it's bloody overkill for me. Hell, even the MX510 is overkill, but it sure it nice. What isn't overkill is no lag. My brother and a few of his friends said they don't even notice it, it's that small. It also may have something to do with acceleration, as my brother's is off, and mine is on low.

A decent wireless set is what I'm after, not a crazy gaming mouse.
    edited August 2005
    alright I liked the brushed aluminum, and the mega amounts of reports per second, since im gonna start gamin (again) and my curent optical mouse is always going into standby and killing me in tribes. plus, its not the most accurate., just a cheapo hp optical wired mouse. but as it is, my hp rig with a 3.2 p4 and 512 mb ram is the only computer i have that can handle a decent game.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Meh, I'm a hardcore gamer and I'm still on an MS IntelliMouse Optical 1.0A.

Amateurs.

;D
    edited August 2005
    well. right now i have a ball mouse, that get dirt and a kindsa crap in it and then when i want the thing to move, the balls stuck and i get obliterated. So I may as well get a good mouse. but for right now im stuck using the ball mouse until i can afford a good optical or laser mouse.

And im no amaeture, ive just bee out of the loop since pandemodeum was a hot seller, and lets not forget PONG.
  • edited August 2005
    well. right now i have a ball mouse, that get dirt and a kindsa crap in it and then when i want the thing to move, the balls stuck and i get obliterated. So I may as well get a good mouse. but for right now im stuck using the ball mouse until i can afford a good optical or laser mouse.

And im no amaeture, ive just bee out of the loop since pandemodeum was a hot seller, and lets not forget PONG.

mx518 #1.
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    Both the Logitech 518 and Razer Diamondback are on sale at Amazon for $41. The Logitech ships free as well, I seem to recall.

If you're going 518, that's a good price to get it at, provided you don't wait for the G5 to come out and drive it down a bit more.
  • edited August 2005
    Jonsey wrote:
    Both the Logitech 518 and Razer Diamondback are on sale at Amazon for $41. The Logitech ships free as well, I seem to recall.

If you're going 518, that's a good price to get it at, provided you don't wait for the G5 to come out and drive it down a bit more.

first: i don't reccomend the razer, they break easily, although when it worked it was a good mouse ;D

second: what is the g5?