The ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe problem.

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Ok, I'm getting this mobo and I had heard there has been a history of chipset fan problems in the past. Does anyone know if they've revamped the chipset fans so this doesn't happen anymore or should I just buy a new one now?

Oh and I also heard the onboard sound is sub-par, anyone confirm/deny this?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2005
    i have this board and from the pics i see of it on newegg, it is a different fan on mine, im sure its the newest model fan/mobo, it detected my x2 without a bios update, so i assume that this revision has the latest and greatest on the board be it fan/bios/driver cd/what have you.

asus revises they boards CONSTANTLY its kinda frustrating when you go looking for the same board but they dont make the old one, theres a new revision, like my ild p4p800, they dont make the p4p800 like i have, they DO make the p4p800-s, p4p800-m, etc.

as for the sound im using a Turtle Beach Sana Cruz, i never tried the onboard sound but from what i hear the usual rear speaker plug ( black port on the sound card ) is not a gray port on the a8n-sli
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    I've got an A8N-SLI Premium, which is based off the same build. I'm not sure the sound is the same, but I'd think it would be.

You will hear some artifacting in the sound if you've got a lower end PSU and you're using the onboard sound. Everytime something on the bus uses a largish amount of power, you'll hear some faint noise.

It's by no means a deal-breaker, but it is something to be aware of.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2005
    Don't you also take pretty good FPS hit in games when using onboard sound as well (when there is no APU like with SoundStorm)?
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    You could suffer from that, yes, but that's my little trick, I'm not using all of the CPU power I have available, and the busses aren't heavily trafficed at that.

I'm running dual-core, a 4400+. Yes, the soundcard is burning cycles, but not on the same core as the main thread of the game is. :D
  • edited August 2005
    Ok, well I'll see how the onboard sound does and if it sucks sound cards aren't THAT expensive.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    To answer your original question, yes, there is a problem with the original fan on some early MB's. But, all I had to do was call tech support and they sent me the revised fan. It's quieter and runs at a more normal speed (at least the asus probe says so). I called support before my old fan failed and never lost a step except for having to remove the board from the case to replace the old one. I'm happy.

Flint