Techie Help Needed please guys ... WUs/Stats

MancunianMancunian Manchester, UK
edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
Hi guys

Nice to be posting again, just incase anyone's forgotten little ol' me. ;D

Got a question for the techie-minded of you out there please. I'm sure it will be something fairly simple but basically/simply a couple of months ago my PC 'fell over' and a friend leant me one of his. At that time I was able to get onto my main drive and I copied over verbatim the folding folder from the drive on the machine I was having probs with to the one I was going to be using after that - and infact am still using as we speak.

After a few teething problems, mainly caused by my copying over wrong shortcuts into the startup folder, it seems that my folding program (the 'windows' graphical version) has or is screwing up the WU counter at HQ! Locally on my machine, if I open my cog icon (F@H WORKING) I can see quite clearly (and correctly as far as I know) WUs completed 49. However if I instead go to Status>User Statistics and look at the figure up at folding@home, it shows my WUs as EIGHTY (80)!!! :confused::scratch:

So can anyone tell me which file and which location holds the WU totals and is the one at home/Stanford updated from each local machine or does it somehow keep its own tally? I only ask because my next question was/is going to be that if I delete said file from whatever location some kind soul is going to tell me, will that then cure that problem by updating itself somehow from my client program and would that in turn update the stats at Stanford? Or do I just have to live with it? Don't get me wrong, I love having my WU stats appear to everyone double their actual number but what does it prove and to whom? I'd FAR rather have an accurate record if at all possible and one that reflects my *actual* WUs processed rather than some factual made up number. After all, no glory in a number, is there? :)

Thanks for any advice/help/assistance anyone can offer.

Cheers
Nick (mancunian)

Comments

• SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited August 2005
    I thought the same thing when I got multiple computers to Folding. The log displays the number of WU's completed for the computer that the log belongs to, and Sanford displays the total number of WU's completed for your username.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Mancunian wrote:
    ...is the one at home/Stanford updated from each local machine or does it somehow keep its own tally?...
    Each machine keeps its own score. It just means that you have 31 WU's finished on other computers. (49 + 31 = 80).

As soon as F@H figured out that it was running on another computer it assigned it a new machine ID. If that didn't happen there would be cheaters who would wait until a 600-Pointer was 99% finished, then copy the works over to umpteen-dozen other computers in an attempt to boost their point total.

What you describe means that everything is working as it should. :)
  • MancunianMancunian Manchester, UK
    edited August 2005
    I thought the same thing when I got multiple computers to Folding. The log displays the number of WU's completed for the computer that the log belongs to, and Sanford displays the total number of WU's completed for your username.

Thank you for your thoughts. However I've only been running on one computer at a time and the only username is my own - namely Mancunian. I literally copied over the folder but then had a problem with the shortcut and it temporarily set up in Documents and Settings until I realised and deleted it from there and re-did the shortcut back to where it should have been, otherwise I've touched nothing. So I don't think that's it I'm afraid.

Any other suggestions/fixes please?
    edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Each machine keeps its own score. It just means that you have 31 WU's finished on other computers. (49 + 31 = 80).

As soon as F@H figured out that it was running on another computer it assigned it a new machine ID. If that didn't happen there would be cheaters who would wait until a 600-Pointer was 99% finished, then copy the works over to umpteen-dozen other computers in an attempt to boost their point total.

What you describe means that everything is working as it should. :)

Sounds logical Prof but only problem was at the time my original PC crashed it HAD finished a 600 pointer but had been unable to send the info back to wherever it goes (Standford). However 49 seems about the correct number of WUs I should have completed. Where the other 31 come from I've no idea but I do see what you mean about copying to lots of other machines. Maybe that's what happened to mine somehow because I copied over before sending the completed data rather than sending it from the machine which actually processed the final/last 600 point WU?

What do you think? :confused:
    edited August 2005
    Mancunian wrote:
    ...However I've only been running on one computer at a time...

That doesn't matter. You've run Folding on two separate computers (though not simultaneously), so it resets the WU count on the new computer. If you formatted the drive and reinstalled everything it would do the same thing again.

If you got your old computer back up and running (without a format) it would pick up the count where it left off.

There is nothing wrong at all. :)
    edited August 2005
    Mancunian wrote:
    ...Maybe that's what happened to mine somehow because I copied over before sending the completed data rather than sending it from the machine which actually processed the final/last 600 point WU?

What do you think? :confused:
    I was typing my last reply when you posted this, so I missed it.

I'm sure what happened was it realized that the WU you were turning in as complete had not been crunched on the same computer you were sending it from. They have to do this to prevent the cheating I mentioned before. I'm sure that some jerks would just copy-and-paste the same WU over and over and over again to inflate their score. I know that's not what you're doing. Unfortunately, you just got caught up in the procedure.

The other 31 WU's must have come from your new computer. If there was a glitch getting it going there, it's entirely possible that it turned in a bunch of zero-point WU's due to constantly restarting the service. I had a machine go a little wacko a few months ago and turn in about fifteen WU's in one hour - for a total of 0 points. As soon as it started a WU it would hang, ditch the WU, then try a new one. It just happens sometimes... ;)
    edited August 2005
    Thanks Prof for your last 2 insights/posts. :thumbsup:

I understand now. Might have taken me a while to get there but I'm with you. :D