Single SATA drive setup, SY-P4VTE

edited May 2007 in Hardware
aight, so i've been working on this for a few days, and im at such a loss.

i just put together a new system, with everything new.
(radeon 9250 card, two cd drives, and floppy),
but im having problems with:
SOYO-P4VTE Mobo and my SATA 160 GB Maxtor HDD.
the cmos is detecting the hard drive just fine.
however, after initial boot, it warns me that there is a RAID problem, and click "tab" to check it out. so i do, and it says that there is not enough disks to have a RAID. well, i dont really want a RAID, i just wanted a single HDD through SATA cable.
so the booklet i got w/ the mobo says to go into CMOS by pressing Delete at the beginning of the computer startup, and to go into the option "Integrated Peripherals" to change settings, blah blah,..but i dont have that option ANYWHERE in my cmos.
i want to update my bios, but dont i need ms-dos? which i cant have until i install an OS.

but anyway, i tried to install WinXP.
i wait past the "RAID problem, press "tab"" screen, and it goes into the boot of the CD-ROM, (which i set as first boot item in cmos), and it says windows it preparing to install, press F6 to intall third party SCSI and RAID drivers, which i do. so then it tells me to press S to insert support floppy. i press S,
and then it tells me to insert the "Hardware-manufacturer support disk", and i put it in, and press "Enter".
the disk sounds like its being read in the floppy drive,
then the same screen pops up, "Insert Hardware support disk".
I THOUGHT I JUST DID!
of course out of impatience, i hit "enter" a few times, but to no avail.
i tried several different times and ways to create the driver disk that the mobo company writes how to do. (using another computer, i copied files from a folder on the mobo CD to a floppy. yeah, i made sure to show hidden files just in case)

im soo lost. :scratch:
(here's some additional info i guess in case it's necessary:
my cd drives are connected to IDE 1, instead of IDE 2. if i connect them to IDE 2, leaving IDE 1 open, they're not being read. even after resetting cmos)

anybody helping me, i appreciate it

Comments

• edited May 2007
    NOTE: The board does not support 300mb/s! If your hard drive has a jumper that can make your drive to 150mb/s please change it to this setting.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Visit our website to download the drivers for the SATA.
    <o:p></o:p>
    On the “Download” sections select your board model.

1. Select “Drivers.”
    2. Select the File Desired (in this case <st1:stockticker>VIA</st1:stockticker>_RAID_V300b.zip)
    3. Download it and put it on the desktop.
    4. Extract the Files and put them in a folder on the desktop.
    5. After extracting the files open the folder.
    6. Find the folder called “DriverDisk”and open it. Or, Open the motherboard CD folder "d:\raid\vt8237\driverdisk".
    7. On a new fo<st1:PersonName>rma</st1:PersonName>tted floppy disk copy <st1:stockticker>ALL</st1:stockticker> the files and folders under driverdisk folder to the floppy.
    8. Then, when you have the files (PIDE, SATA and TXTSETUP.OEM) on a floppy you can now install it and then your system will recognize the SATA drive after the installation.
    How to set up the BIOS on the motherboard for SATA drives.
    • Boot your computer and go to the BIOS by pressing “F1 or Delete”
    • Go to the “Feature Set Up”
    • On-board SATA/<st1:stockticker>IDE</st1:stockticker> set it to “Enable”
    • press “Escape”
    • Go to “Advance Setup”
    6. If booting from the SATA only (as the main drive) set the boot order as follow:
    1<sup>st</sup> Boot Device: CD-ROM
    2<sup>nd</sup> Boot Device: <st1:Street><st1:address>SATA Drive</st1:address></st1:Street> (NOTE: It will name your hard drive by name or model #)
    3<sup>rd</sup> Boot Device: (whatever you want here or you can disable it)
    Other Boot devices: Enable (YES)
    • Save and Exit
    • If your are booting from an <st1:stockticker>IDE</st1:stockticker> and have the SATA drive as storage, set the boot order like this:
    1<sup>st</sup> Boot Device: Floppy
    2<sup>nd</sup> Boot Device: <st1:stockticker>IDE</st1:stockticker>
    3<sup>rd</sup> Boot Device: SATA (NOTE: it will name your hard drive by name or model #)
    Other Boot Devices: Enable (Yes)
    • Save and Exit
    • Now you can install the OS with the Driver Disk Drivers by pressing “F6”