For those who want to learn 3D

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
I highly recomend looking into XSI. You can download a totally free, and somewhat dumbed down version of it called XSI Mod Tool. It's a SoftImage 3D Modeling tool.

I have been working through some tutorials all day.... I mean ALL DAY and I gotta say that it's going to be one of those programs I am going to buy. The "Foundation" version of XSI is only $500 and it of course has more features than this free version which isn't much of demo, but a free tool with some limited features(which wouldn't matter too much for noobs anyways), and of course a limited licence(so no money making, as if it matters to many).

I am so far thinking this program could easily be better than Max is, at a fractionof the cost. Granted, it's like compairing apples and oranges, but it's definitly better than the Free Maya PLE, and Blender(free as well).

I honestly can't say too much for sure as it's only been a day, but it seems fairly easy to pick up using the tutorials, although it could take you up to a week to truely get the hang of it and be on your own from what I am guessing. That is if you don't have previous 3D experience. Either way, it could be fun for you guys to check out.

Right now, even before downloading this program, I've been working on getting ahold of XSI Foundation which is $500($548 with tax and stuff), but my credit limit is only $500 so you can see my delema. But I am working with a retailer who seems to be more than willing to help me out and have me only pay just under my credit limit so I can get this program since 3Ds Max is around $3200, for the basics. XSI Foundation has all the features I really need, anything else can be downloaded through free plugins as I can tell. But has "higher" editions like the "Essentials" for $1100 I think, and the "Advanced" version for $3000.

But anyways, I tried explaining as best as I can... it seems very simple to use, but possibly daunting at first because of all the options. XSI Mod Tool is quite possibly the best FREE 3D tool out there to learn on.