Which one.

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
alright i know this is getting old, but which would you get if you honestly had to choose between the three

Geforce 6800 GT
Radeon X800 XL
Radeon X800 XT

I'm having dificulty making a desicion....I really want the GT but availability of an AGP refurb is keeping me down. and the XL is supposed to be the GT's competitor, but the GT squashes the XL in Doom 3 and pulls ahead in just about every other game be it by a few frames or 5-10. and the XT beats the GT just about all the time. ...

I also heard that radeon was releasing a new video card??? was it the XL or is it something else? I cant remember, someone said something about one coming out, and if something new comes out, that will sureley mean a price cut.

If anyone finds one of those cards for around $200 give or take $25, lemme know and ill jump on it, unlike i did on the 6800 GT for $210

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    they just recently released the X800GT if thats what you're referring to. of those three, I would recommend them in this order

X800XT
    6800GT
    X800XL

for 2 reasons. first, I am an ATI fanboy, and second that just happens to correspond with the order their prices are arranged. I also have an X800XT, and love the card. it pounds the crap out of most games (its no 7800 GTX though).

if i wasn't an owner of an x800xt though, i'd probably recommend the 6800gt
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    alright, then, will proceed to find a deal.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Heh, at the rate ATI is going...the XT is gonna be their fairwell card if they dont get to releasing the new one any time soon.
    edited August 2005
    I don't think missing out of the ultra high end graphics card section is going to kill them. X800XL's are still selling at a breakneck pace, due to the price/performance that card has, and they have cards in the high end marketplace. let them miss a cycle, we'll see what happens
    edited August 2005
    alright, I cracked, Im gonna splurge and get the albatron 6800 GT for $270 off of newegg, sure wish i would've got that one for $210 and saven my self $60, ah well. at least my video card will have higer framerates than 5 fps now, or wait, would it of even did that????how about .25 fps. (trident 8mb video "accelerator", 1995)
    edited August 2005
    holy crap, thats one hell of an upgrade! enjoy
    edited August 2005
    i know, i've been acting like im really gonna notice from one card to another, but in reality a mx 440 probobly would seem like top of the line going from that. Im so excited.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    what does the x800gt compare to?
    edited August 2005
    its around the same price as a 6600gt... so maybe that? I haven't looked at reviews yet
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2005
    I think i might be going with that x800gt. It looks gansta. Its cheaper than the x800's but i'm guessin it'll own it.
    edited August 2005
    im in the middle of all these decisions of looking at cards as well. No plans soon, but eventually I'll want an upgrade (AGP).
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    personally i would go with the x800xl if you are spending near $300...it really is neck and neck with the 6800gt...

also the x800gt will be the card to get for people wanting to spend under $200. you will have to wait a few more weeks for an agp version though.

8pipelines, 256bit interface, 256mb of gddr3, based on the r423/480 core, clocked around 475/1000! it will eat 6600gt's for breakfast. :thumbsup:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xNDU2
    edited August 2005
    ryko wrote:
    also the x800gt will be the card to get for people wanting to spend under $200. you will have to wait a few more weeks for an agp version though.

8pipelines, 256bit interface, 256mb of gddr3, based on the r423/480 core, clocked around 475/1000! it will eat 6600gt's for breakfast. :thumbsup:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xNDU2
    thats sounding exactly like what I'm looking for.. I might have to get that when the AGP comes out. thanks :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    whoa... I'm really confused here.

newegg link

why on earth is it so cheap?? What am I missing here.. this seems like a card worth $225 or so.. $165 is like the same price as a 6600/6600gt. what on earth :confused:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    I would go with the 6800gt. Thats what I am running now and it will run any game at its highest setting. You are lucky to find one at $270. I paid close to $400 for mine when it first came out. Always had good luck with Nvidia. Had them all..Gforce 1, 2 ,3, 4 I missed the 5 and went right to the 6 series. Nothing wrong with ATI's but I just like Nvidia...
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    whoa... I'm really confused here.

newegg link

why on earth is it so cheap?? What am I missing here.. this seems like a card worth $225 or so.. $165 is like the same price as a 6600/6600gt. what on earth :confused:

if had a pci-e mobo i would grab it right now! only downside is these don't support crossfire, but i personally don't need/want a multi-gpu setup.

it's not cheap b/c of performance or anything else, it is just targeted towards the mainstream market. it is designed to keep people from buying anything else at the <$200 mark and it should! ati basically wants to own the mainstream and lower markets right now since their ultra highend competition to the 7800gtx/gt is still waiting in the wings.

also the fact that x800gt is a limited run video card. basically these parts are made from the x800/xl/xt cores that have defective pipelines. ati wants to clear out stock of these "partially defective" gpus to get ready for it's new silicon. so what better way than to heavily discount the leftovers?

see anadtech's new ATI roadmap for more info on ati's new stuff...

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2501
    edited August 2005
    I feel kinda bad about tricking my mom, but heres what I did:

Found an australian site with the agp albatron 6800 GT for $570, and then showed her newegg for $270. told her it was $300 cheaper and i should really get it. so she ordered it for me as an early christmas (this probably IS my christmas though.) but its gonna be KICK ASS, its on order since last night at 11 pm. hopefullly its here by saturday or monday.

Its on step 3, so hopefully its packaged and out the door by noon