Blinking light error

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hi

my brother brought me over his computer because he is having a problem with it not starting when he brings to over to me this is what i get.

he has a compaq something or other 2.4 gz 40 gig harddrive newer system.

when you plug the power cord into the supply the small green light on the supply starts to blink along with the green light on the supply switch. and that is it nothing esle happens you can't turn it on no fans rotate nothing. so i tried to trouble shoot the problem i disconnected everything from the mother board even the ram. i unhooked the power supply from the mother board and the green light on the back of the supply with stay solid green but when i hook it to the mother board it it starts to blink again. i am wondering if this is a power supply problem or a mother board problem i have no way to test it except of course to go out and buy a new supply any ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    it sounds like either a motherboard or processor problem. Do you have another processor you can test in it?

Is there a pattern to the blink? like 2 short, 1 long, etc.... anything like that?
  • edited August 2005
    it sounds like either a motherboard or processor problem. Do you have another processor you can test in it?

Is there a pattern to the blink? like 2 short, 1 long, etc.... anything like that?
    nope just fast blinking, i don't have another processor to test. but i unhooked the processor and the blinking starts any way even with everything unhooked.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    hmmm. to me it sounds like a motherboard problem. but an easy way to eliminate the power supply as the problem would be to pull a spare or another one out of a different computer that you know works and hook everything up and see if that fixes anything. if it doesnt, than you have eliminated the PSU as the problem.

I'm putting my bets on either the PSU or the Mobo
  • edited August 2005
    yea i was kinda of thinking i had to do something like that i have a pretty good feeling it is a mother board problem. Thanks for the help i will make sure to stick around see if i can help out