getting confused

edited August 2005 in Hardware
by all the terminology!
I need some proffesional help!
Right, my problem is this...
I was given a new hard drive and wanted to install XP on it, so i made myself a slipstreamed bootable cd with sp2, put in the new hard drive, checked my bios settings and proceeded to install XP. My computer said no. It would just freeze and i had to flip the on/off switch on my psu to shut down.
I put the hard drive in hubby's computer and installed XP on it, it all went fine, no problems formatting/partitioning blah blah
I've put it back in my system booted, checked bios, continued to boot and it tells me there is a problem starting windows, do i want to start normally or in safe mode? I try normally and the countdown freezes and the computer hangs, i try safe mode and it shows me all the lovely drivers, gets to MUP.sys and then stops. Having researched a little i know it isn't mup.sys that's the problem as that is just the last driver to load.
I have tried...
Flashing the bios, removing the cmos battery, resetting the bios using the cmos jumper, changing the ide cables, changing the ide channels for the hard drive, removing all pci cards, changing the psu, moving the memory to different slots, only having one stick of memory, disconnecting the dvd and dvd-rw drives and probably loads more stuff that i have now forgotten as i have been doing this for over a week!
I have found on my travels through google and various forums and articles that there may be some kind of conflict between various things and xp but i'm not very technically minded and all the terminology is just confusing me!
My system consists of:
ABIT KT7-raid motherboard, nothing plugged into IDE3 and 4
AMD Athlon 1gig processor (socket A or 462)
2 sticks of 512 dimm
Hercules 3D Prophet II max dual display graphics card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
Hitachi Deskstar 120 gig hard drive (is that IBM?)(does it even matter? :confused: )
XP pro sp2 splipstreamed cd

The BIOS has been flashed, i believe i may have to flash the raid array drivers also, but i am unsure how to do that, or if it is possible to do that from DOS?
I can boot my system using a win98 floppy and can nearly install win98 but my boot partition is NTFS which leads me to believe that my problem is with either the motherboard or the graphics card and XP. I have tried putting a different graphics card in there and it wouldn't even POST
I believe my motherboard chipset is VIAKT133, i have read about a problem with 686B southbridge and VIA 4-in-1 compatability issues but i do not know if that applies to me?link here
Basically, can anyone help me get my computer running without having to replace anything? I am aware that my motherboard is quite old now and i was thinking of upgrading but i'll be buggered if i'm going to let this beat me! :D:
Thanks in advance for any help,
Franney :o)

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited August 2005
    What is the jumper on the hard drive set too? (Master/Slave/CS) Do you have your bios setup to boot from CD-ROM first? Is the hard drive IDE cable plugged into the IDE 1.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005
    You installed XP on the drive on your husbands computer correct? Then swapped it into yours??? Unless he has the exact same (or very very similiar) motherboard, sound, video etc... it won't boot after its put in yours again. The drivers are all messed up based on what it needs for YOUR setup.

You really need to do a repair install. I would do it with the sound card out. In fact you might even do it with sound out AND using your hubbys video card. Disable anything in the bios you do not need to just get XP up. serial ports, printer ports, usb and even a NIC. All we are trying to do is install XP. You can re-enable the stuff ONE by ONE later always with a clean boot into XP and installing the drivers etc..

If you can't or are afraid to try a repair install then try safe mode. Go into the device manager. Under "view" at the top enable "show hidden devices". Remove any and all devices that are disabled or having problems. reboot into safe mode. check the devices again. Now try booting normal one time and see if it can get in. The SIMPLER you make it by pulling or disabling all devices not needed to just get XP running the better chance you have.

When you said your computer "froze". First.... sometimes when its having probs with devices it will hang for awhile and then start up. I have had installs that should take 30 minutes take almost 3 hours. LET IT SIT THERE for a LONG time before panicing. Please note WHERE its hanging at? How many minutes are left in the install? Watch whats displaying on the screen. Is it loading drivers? Setting up the network? etc...

The more clues you can give us the better off you are.

It appears you are not using the raid headers? (ide 3 and 4) DISABLE it in the bios for sure. Disable anything you don't need to just get XP up. You can always re-enable them or put cards back in again ONE by ONE later.

Tex
  • edited August 2005
    maximusbad wrote:
    What is the jumper on the hard drive set too? (Master/Slave/CS) Do you have your bios setup to boot from CD-ROM first? Is the hard drive IDE cable plugged into the IDE 1.

Jumper is set to master
    bios is set to boot floppy/cdrom/ide0 (only while i am trying to get it set up though)
    yes, hard drive is in IDE1 with no slave
    edited August 2005
    the drive is booting. She gets to the boot normal/safe prompt. So its not jumpers or bios boot order. She just can't finish the boot so other devices/drivers are jacking her.

Tex
  • edited August 2005
    Tex wrote:
    You installed XP on the drive on your husbands computer correct? Then swapped it into yours??? Unless he has the exact same (or very very similiar) motherboard, sound, video etc... it won't boot after its put in yours again. The drivers are all messed up based on what it needs for YOUR setup.
    Yep, not a good idea i know but i was desperate!
    You really need to do a repair install. I would do it with the sound card out. In fact you might even do it with sound out AND using your hubbys video card. Disable anything in the bios you do not need to just get XP up. serial ports, printer ports, usb and even a NIC. All we are trying to do is install XP. You can re-enable the stuff ONE by ONE later always with a clean boot into XP and installing the drivers etc..

If you can't or are afraid to try a repair install then try safe mode. Go into the device manager. Under "view" at the top enable "show hidden devices". Remove any and all devices that are disabled or having problems. reboot into safe mode. check the devices again. Now try booting normal one time and see if it can get in. The SIMPLER you make it by pulling or disabling all devices not needed to just get XP running the better chance you have.
    Um, i CAN'T install, repair or boot into safe mode as it freezes, unless you mean putting it back into hubby's and trying to reformat the partition and do a clean install on my pc?
    When you said your computer "froze". First.... sometimes when its having probs with devices it will hang for awhile and then start up. I have had installs that should take 30 minutes take almost 3 hours. LET IT SIT THERE for a LONG time before panicing. Please note WHERE its hanging at? How many minutes are left in the install? Watch whats displaying on the screen. Is it loading drivers? Setting up the network? etc...

i have left it overnight and it is still on the same screen when i come to it in the morning, is that long enough? ;)
    If i boot from cd it hangs on the blue screen that says hit enter or f3 or r, after it has loaded everything up. If i boot from the hard drive i get the choice to start in safe mode or normal, if i hit enter for normal it hangs right away and if i try safe mode it hangs after it says mup.sys
    The more clues you can give us the better off you are.
    I thought i did that in my original post *lol*
    It appears you are not using the raid headers? (ide 3 and 4) DISABLE it in the bios for sure. Disable anything you don't need to just get XP up. You can always re-enable them or put cards back in again ONE by ONE later.
    All i have plugged in is memory, hard drive and graphics card, the raid array is disabled in the bios :(
    Tex
    Thanks for the help, i really do appreciate it :)
    Fran
  • edited August 2005
    Something else which may (or may not) help
    I've just attempted to install the updated highpoint drivers (for the raid array) and the keyboard was unresponsive, so i am losing it before the windows installation cd has even finished loading.
    I've managed to find another graphics card which works but it still won't boot past either mup.sys or press enter/r/f3 so i am assuming it's not the graphics card in which case it's either the memory (both sticks) gone bad or the motherboard :bawling:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Fran,
    Have you tested memory, memtest is the trick for this.
    Do you have the old HDD? (I know, dumb question)

Have you tried the repair install? I haven't had great luck with it, but it might be the ticket here.
    Boot off of the CD, tell it to install, and then you will get the option for new or repair.
    This really sounds like a drive issue.
    I have a bunch of KT7/KT7As around, but I haven't re-loaded one in so long I have forgotten. Mine are all running w2k.
  • edited August 2005
    edcentric wrote:
    Fran,
    Have you tested memory, memtest is the trick for this.
    Do you have the old HDD? (I know, dumb question)

Have you tried the repair install? I haven't had great luck with it, but it might be the ticket here.
    Boot off of the CD, tell it to install, and then you will get the option for new or repair.
    This really sounds like a drive issue.
    I have a bunch of KT7/KT7As around, but I haven't re-loaded one in so long I have forgotten. Mine are all running w2k.
    Hi,
    If i boot from the cd i cannot do ANYTHING as although the cd continues to load drivers, i am not able to interact with it. I have tried pressing F6 at the prompt to load the raid drivers but by this point my keyboard is not working and yes, i have tried using 3 other keyboards (both ps/2 and usb) and the problem remains. If i leave the cd to carry on loading it gets to the screen telling me to hit enter/r or f3 and then stops and no matter how hard i hit the keyboard it remains unresponsive - no lights on numlock/capslock etc
    I do not know how to test memory with memtest, is it a utility i can run through DOS? I can do that, my computer will let me into DOS, it just won't let me into XP :scratch:
    No, unfortunately i do not have the original hard-drive, more's the pity! But i don't think that is the issue as i am able to (nearly) install win98 on it and i was able to install XP on it, albeit on another pc.
    Cheers for the response :)
    edited August 2005
    test the memory. Its easier to make a test disk I think from docmemory.

unzip this. Click on the .exe and follow the directions. It makes a bootable floppy.

I don't think its the drive or you would not of been able to install xp on hubbys box.

Tex