Firefox Unstable?!

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
I've been using Firefox for months now and love it compared to IE. However, it seems the latest update, 1.0.6, has some issues with stability and crashes...at least on my computer.

Anybody else seeing this? :scratch:

Comments

• witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    I've been using Firefox for months now and love it compared to IE. However, it seems the latest update, 1.0.6, has some issues with stability and crashes...at least on my computer.

Anybody else seeing this? :scratch:

I use Firefox x.6 too - my only problem has been with the Java or something still running in the task manager after I exit the program (I have had that problem since the Dimes project started for me). It will not restart until I open tm and shut firefox down. I put a new small form box in my bedroom and today was the first time I ever opened Internet Explorer. Only problem with Firefox has been loading an audio plugin. Never a crash and no pop - ups. I have convinced most of my friends to never use IE. Jack
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2005
    It's likely not firefox itself, but an extension. Try disabling all your extensions and see if it happens. If not, start re-enabling them one or two at a time until it starts to crash again.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I love Firefox, but ever since I updated to the latest version my system seems unstable...BSODs while I'm away or just surfing the web. I'm going to have to run some tests to see if it could be something else.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    i haven't had a single problem on either PC or mac with 1.0.6
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    I have. Lots. I reinstalled it and it seems to have slowed the frequency of crashes, but it still happens once every week or two.

I've also noticed that most of the links on this site alone don't work right. I click "More Smileys" and it duplicates the tab. Click on a user's AIM/whatever icon and it duplicates. Click "manage Attachments" and it (suprise!) duplicates the tab.
    edited August 2005
    entropy,
    when Firefox crashes does it alone crash or does it cause a system crash with a BSOD?
  • edited August 2005
    I've had no issues at all with Firefox 1.0.6 on any of the machines I am using it on. All are running either Win2K Pro or XP Pro.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2005
    those link issues are likely due to a plugin like tabbrowser extensions not being configured with what you expect/want to happen when you click a link. i'm not even sure how firefox acts without tabbrowser extensions though... so that could be it's default behavior.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Profile could've gotten corrupted. Try creating a new one.
    edited August 2005
    It goes under on its own. System stays up just fine.

Nos, I'd be interested if you (or anyone) had any solutions. I've currently got TabMix installed, however, because it's the kept-up version.
    edited August 2005
    Update: I think I owe an apology to all the Mozilla peeps out there. I remembered, as my college science professor used to drill into our little student brains, coincidence doesn't equal causation. I thought back to what else I had done around the same time as install Firefox. Just before that I had installed some new memory from G.Skill, so I "memtested" it last night. Lo and behold, 4 errors happpened over 7 hours.

So now I'm thinking I may have some bad RAM which makes a lot more sense considering my crashes are random, but seem to happen when I am really stressing the system with games, burning DVDs, or have lots of windows open.

So I think it's time for an RMA....anyone else have thoughts? :scratch:
    edited August 2005
    To be honest, it might not be the ram. At least not yet.

I ran my computer for almost a year on one stick of ddr400 "Corsair Value" (=crap). I could run it at 229 and overvolted by .2. I never once errored out/BSOD'd (well, once, but it was my fault).

See if you can swap it out first. Unless you want to RMA it anyway, then just go ahead :p
    edited August 2005
    I have very good RAM that is running well below it's rated speed because I haven't gotten around to overclocking it.....I'm trying to think what else could cause BSODs that only seem to occur when I'm putting a heavy load on the system. I doubt it's my PSU; it's a PC Power and Cooling SLI 510. I've checked both the heat of the CPU, chipset, and video card. They are all fine.

I'm thinking memory, because of the randomness of the crashes and the Memtest errors....