dvd drive question

edited August 2005 in Hardware
its abt my xbox which is kind of a computer. the drive is busted and i was wondering if just any pc dvd drive would work. or if anybody had even tried it. seems plausible but idk. any help from a more experienced technician. any help would be great. thx

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Read his topic title he said DVD drive.

And no there isn't any pc drive that will work in an xbox (Well at least not without MASSIVE soldering and modding).

edit: ebay it
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    Ah, sorry. I must get these tired old eyes tested.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    unfortunately, the drive uses a different proprietary power connector. you're pretty fooked. you could try a pawn shop
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    theres many for sale on ebay.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    theres many for sale on ebay.
    Nice link, Pilotwings. :)

Good luck, dysfunxn. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    ??? hmm, my friend tells me he replaced the DVD drive in his xbox. maybe he just soldered the power connector, or you could make an adapter to the molex if you wanted to be perfect. im sure there are ways to do it, cause its just an ide drive.
    edited August 2005
    That's a good point, airbornflght.

On the other hand, some of those eBay drives have a Buy It Now price of $19. It's going to be tough to beat that, especially when you add in buying the adapter and doing all the soldering.

My only word of caution would be to make sure it's compatible with what you have now, dysfunxn.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    yeah if it were me, I'd buy the same brand and maybe the same model just to be sure it works.
    edited August 2005
    it was just what was economical for him. he had a spare dvd drive layin around, and didnt have the money to buy a new one, so if that dvd drive didnt work he was going to have to put his xbox up untill he got a replacement.
    edited August 2005
    ...he had a spare dvd drive layin around, and didnt have the money to buy a new one...
    If I were in the same position I'd have done the same thing. :)
  • edited August 2005
    thanx every1. i think i might just go w/ an ebay one though. i found some1 that has done it and they said just to buy a new one unless i was gonna mod it for extensive purposes. his is pretty high tech so it was worth the 200$+ mod cost. i think 19$ sounds better. lol. anyways thank you all so much!
    edited August 2005
    $200 for a dvd rom??? who is off of there rocker??? a DVD rom is not worth $200, i can see spending that on the hdd and putting unleashed on it and "backing up" your games onto the hard drive. as well as a few other cool features. but you have to have certain games to get unleashed on you box.