Recreating ParagonCA.com :: What web languages and programming tools should I know?

SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Hey guys,

I'm looking to change ParagonCA.com in the next year. It is my online retail computer accessories store some of you may have been to before as I am a long-time member here and at Icrontic.

As i have been having some problems lately and just want to save money to get away from Yahoo! hosting, what are some technologies I should learn to make an appealing modern website that would be secure and dynamic. I appreciate all your info so I could have a good layout and easy management of inventory as well as a shopping cart with ability for people to add reviews to products, something along the lines of newegg.com and their way of presenting products.

I appreciate any info you can give me as I have some knowledge but have a hard time piecing it all together!

Thank you,
Adam Siemiginowski
Owner, ParagonCA

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    While some people will say go with ASP, I'm a proponent of PHP. Chances are there are tons of shopping carts out there for use, and many of which may be free. Just take a look around. You'll need some sort of server side language, a database (MySQL has always been my pick, but PostGreSQL or whatever the other big one is, is a good free one. Unless you want to pay for Microsoft SQL server *gag*), and some pretty good hosting that supports these things, along with SSL.