My first build, input before purchase...

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I am planning on getting the following:

1.Antec SUPER LANBOY Silver anodized aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail

2.AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

3.OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail

4.Antec TruePower 2.0 TRUECONTROL II-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

5.ASUS EN6600/TD/256 Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

6.Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail

7.ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Switching to premium!!!

8.ASUS Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616P3BLK - Retail

9.HP Black IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Model DVD640I - Retail

10.2 X 120 GB Western Digital Caviar® SE 7200 RPM, 8 MB Cache, Serial ATA Hard Drive

+ a FDD.

Any input, experience, ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    Case will serve you well, though if you get a PSU with long connections, I can't reccomend my SilverStone TJ-06 highly enough.

I have a 4400+ and it runs like a dream!

Your videocard could benefit from a bump up, I'm running an x800xl that I got for $300 from the Egg, but there have been specials at the Brick & Mortars for around $250 or less lately. I don't love ATI's drivers, I'm actually using Omegas to make it run happy, but the card's horsepower/cost ratio rocks.

I also just grabbed a $40 Razer Diamondback Plasma from Amazon.com... Again, there aren't words to describe how much I like it, but it's a whole lot.

I'm running the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, got it for $160 from the Egg, if the price difference isn't very high between your deluxe, and the Premium, go for the Premium, some folks have been getting lots of noise/failing issues with the Northbridge fans on the Deluxe, and the Premium sidesteps that problem entirely... though, supposedly Asus has fixed the noise issue now.

Again with the NewEgg I guess, but I got two WD 160gb SATA-II HDDs from NewEgg for $90 each, and that's a deal they've run a few times lately. No complaints about them, not really sure the extra throughput potential helps much, but solid and non-noisy drives.

There's my two cents, I'll drop back by this thread, to see anything you've changed, debated, and what other feedback you've gotten.

Note though, that if you're willing to take on a challenge, and want to overclock your CPU heavily, you may wanna go for a DFI motherboard. They can be pains to set up, but they overclock better than the ASUSes... then again, I've had my 4400+ up to 2.5GHz stable on stock air, on my ASUS, so, that doesn't mean the ASUS does a bad job. :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    you have more money than me son. sounds like a kick @$$ rig. wish i had an X2 so that i could render and game at the same time
  • edited August 2005
    What video card???
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    ??? for him or me.

right now im running a 9200 SE on my P4 rig. and getting a 6800 GT for my A64 rig.
  • edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    What video card???

for Dakna...
  • edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    What video card???
    Dakna23 wrote:
    5.ASUS EN6600/TD/256 Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
  • edited August 2005
    muddocktor wrote:

lol how I didn't see that I don't know.. ;D

For good looks / fps I might suggest getting a better gfx card.
  • edited August 2005
    I agree, but maybe that's all he needs, if he doesn't game much.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2005
    it looks like your mobo might not fit in that case.

You might wanna get a standard sized case for good cooling and such, but thats imo
    edited August 2005
    Antec says it takes up to a Standard ATX.

ASUS A8N-SLIs are Standard ATX (9 x 12 inches, IIRC)

No problems there, other than first install may require taking out drive bays / using mobo tray. : )
  • edited August 2005
    UPDATED
    Thoughts ideas opinions wanted:
    1.PSU look good enough to run this system?
    2. Should I get a CPU fan or go with the stock?

Update ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard -$179.00

Update Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA Silver Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case -$175.00

Update HP Black IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Model DVD640I -$75.00

Update ASUS Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616P3BLK -$28.00

Update Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included -
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $108.00 -$10.00 Instant
    $98.00 - $20.00 rebate = $78.00

Update OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K -$269.95

Update Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP2 -$229.95

Update Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
    Model #: TPII-550
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $99.99 - $20.00 rebate = $79.99

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor $549.00

Update ATI 100-435513 Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card -$283.00

total = $1946.89
    edited August 2005
    I think you're paying a little bit too much on some of your parts, but if you don't want to deal hunt, they're not majorly over open-market.

The stock 4400+ cooling will do just fine, as long as that armor tower has decent airflow, that, and the stock cooling allows the warrantee to follow the processor, which is never a bad deal.

As you're only doing one video card, and not tons of periphrials, the Antec should run you fine, they don't quite live up to how good they used to be, but taht should crank out enough juice for all you're going to do with it, no problems. IMO anyway.
  • edited August 2005
    Any PSU suggestions other than the Antec?
  • edited August 2005
    Dakna23 wrote:
    Any PSU suggestions other than the Antec?

PC Power & Cooling is the premier brand, but it tends to be too expensive for the average user, which includes me.

I'd go with an OCz Modstream or Powerstream PSU.

BTW, I'm curious what this PC will be used for...

If gaming, Might I suggest getting a better video card and getting either a 4200+ x2 or 4000+.
  • edited August 2005
    Mostly digital photography and random stuff. Very little gaming. Maybe Halo 2 every once in a while.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2005
    Id change to seagate drives... but thats my opinion... The rest looks kick arse..
  • edited August 2005
    Dakna23 wrote:
    Mostly digital photography and random stuff. Very little gaming. Maybe Halo 2 every once in a while.

Ah well in that case you're fine, that system will do you great.

I just figured if you were gaming you might want to consider a better GPU, because these days, gaming is pretty much all graphics card, as long as you have a decent cpu in terms of making the post difference.
  • edited August 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    Id change to seagate drives... but thats my opinion... The rest looks kick arse..

Why?
  • edited August 2005
    More like WD Raptor 74's.

Fastest drives. :D