Strange Problems

PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
basic specs:
winxp pro sp2
athlonxp1800+ (.18, not sure core)
1x512mb pc2100
1xnew WD 160gb

Fixing my buddies system, he has a bad hard drive. I replace it with a new one.

Installed windows, on occasion it randomly restarts without error, and comes back up saying windows has recovered from a serious error.

Well Ive been going through the event log, and reading Microsoft's knowledge base articles related, and it would seem there is a strange driver issue that has screwed with the page file database system.

What I need to know is if anyone here has a basic guide on how to use Microsoft's driver verifier, and if they think that would help.

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Traced problem to a port driver issue, usb hub. Updated usb keyboard driver, no longer having issues communicating with hub. Fixed. Good to go.

/ticket
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2005
    A good thing to do if its restarting liek that, is to right click my computer, go to properties. go to advanced, go to startup and recovery settings, and turn off automaticly restart on error, that way it forces the BSOD that may give you some indication of whats happnin
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Armo wrote:
    A good thing to do if its restarting liek that, is to right click my computer, go to properties. go to advanced, go to startup and recovery settings, and turn off automaticly restart on error, that way it forces the BSOD that may give you some indication of whats happnin

One of the first things I did actually.