EISA Hard Drive Partition

SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hey folks,

was looking at a laptop that I inherited and saw that it had three partitions on the hard drive. These were two fat32 17.5GB partitions (the C and D drive) but also a two gig FAT EISA configuration partition which is about 75% full.

I just wanna know what this EISA configurated partition is and how to use it. I know branded computers often have a partition with backup windows files etc on, and assume this is the same, as there are some backup files on there. However, I can only access this partition through a utility such as partition magic but even so, I can only browse the contents and not open anything on this partition in windows.

Im sure one of you will enlighten me!

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Meh, delete the partition with PM and enlarge one of the other partitions :)
  • SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
    edited August 2005
    Good plan... think i will. :)

Just wanted to know what the point of the EISA form of partition was. I assume its a hidden partition for things like windows setup files or backup files. Was curious as to how to use it if i wanted to restore windows from there.
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    Yep, it's probably an OEM's Windows restore partition.

Only need it if you're going to reimage it back to factory stock, or expect them to support your HDD if you send it back.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005
    Compaq and dell often have a hidden partition with configuration utilities, drivers and stuff at the front of the drive. Most are smaller then 2gb at least the ones I have seen. Crap with 2gb they might have a copy of the full recovery cd or something in there.

Tex
  • SlydogSlydog Bristol UK Member
    edited August 2005
    good stuff fellas,

thought as much but wasnt certain.

as always, i am now much wiser :)