geforce fx 5200 problems

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hello,
I hope someone can help me out. I have a geforce fx 5200 in a really good system. I know, I should have a better card but that is not possible right now, so I have to deal with this one.
I play the sims 2 and as soon as I get inot the game, after about 5 minutes my system reboots. I have looked for conflicts and there are none. I am using xp home.
I try to update the drivers for the card but when I do I get a yellow splat in device manager. My direct x is up to date. I have to resolve the splat by reverting to the older drivers that came with the card.
any ideas?
Blessings,
Chanda

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    are you uninstalling the old Nvidia drivers before you install the new ones? If not then that can be a sure possiability why its borking up on you.
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    i have tried everything. Yes, I did install the drivers first from the CD, dxdiag tells me that these are default drivers and I need to update. I then update and that is when I get a splat. I have tried every which way. deleting drivers and starting with new, and vise versa and I have tried the beta driver, still no go. I saw on another forum something about the capture devices and the WDM drivers loading when you don't have a capture device. i used a driver cleaner and I have no such driver on the system.
    I am really at a loss here and I am really frustrated because i make new mesh objects for the sims 2 with maya and I have so much trouble geting into the game to see my objects LOL.
    Thanks for help.
    Blessings,
    Chanda

jradmin wrote:
    are you uninstalling the old Nvidia drivers before you install the new ones? If not then that can be a sure possiability why its borking up on you.
    edited August 2005
    Download the latest Nvidia driver. I think its 77.77 (lucky?) or something like that. Save it to your desktop.

Then I want you to uninstall everything that has to do with your video card, then restart in SAFE MODE and run Drivercleaner 3 or whatever driver cleaner program you have.

Then shut your system down and disconnect the power cable and monitor cable.

Remove the vid card from the mobo, then put it back in making sure its seated nice and tight.

Then I want you to restart the computer and when it says its found new hardware and starts the new hardware wizard, I want you to cancel the wizard.

Next I want you to run the new 77.77 driver you've saved to your desktop.

Come back and tell me what happens.
  • edited August 2005
    I have the same nvidia geforce fx 5200 128 mb card.
    When I run games like max payne and true crime and many more, the sound is very scratchy and irritating. but sound outside the game is alright.
    I use win xp sp2
    RAM: 256
    PROCESSOR: INTEL 2.26 GHz

Please please please help
    edited August 2005
    Well, first thing is that your probably pushing that RAM to the point of exhaustion. Pop in another 256Mb stick of ram and that will probably go along way to helping solve your problem. Also upgrade your vid card drivers. Anytime your vid card starts giving you issues, start there.
  • edited August 2005
    I am a PC tech. I thought I had covered allt he bases. No way it could be software. Well guess what.... I did a format and reload and it works fine,
    I have no idea what got corrupted. Thought for sure it wasn't gonnna fly, but it did.
    :o)
    I suggest for everyone who can to format and reload before you ditch the card. After the format and reload I loaded the newest drivers too. :o)

blessings,
    Chanda