Another socket 939 NF system (actually #3)

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have been wanting to put together another socket 939 NF system for home buisness and more folding power and not sure if I want to rob any current parts and upgrade my main rig or just get all new. The only exception will be the video card which will mean nothing since it will be data use only and I already have both AGP and PCI cards for what ever I do. I have been happy enough with both of my DFI LP boards but have been thinking I want to try something else. I have built several systems with the MSI K8N Neo4-F, which have been super run both stock and overclocked but also thinking it wouldn't hurt to go with a slightly higher board or even try one of the NF3 Ultra boards. If I upgrade anything in my current rig and swap CPU's I would get a Toledo core 2x 4400 but not thinking it would be worth it other than adding another instance of folding. Not that there is anything wrong with that but the budget would be starting to squeek a bit. Otherwise I am still tempted to just go with more like I already have.
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice

And I already have OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) for memory.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I take it you want to stay with socket 939 so you can do upgrades on your main rig and use the replaced proc in this system, right? That board certainly is inexpensive enough; surprising for an nf4 board. If you want to try out an nf3 board, this EPoX EP-9NDA3J would also be a good choice, as well as the EP-9NDA3+ that Omega is selling in the DD&TP. They are good stable boards and there is now a new bios rev out that supports the X2 procs. I'm thinking of upgrading to an X2 later on with my 9NDA3+.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    Dont forget the DFI NF3 Ultra-D AGP also the MSI K8N Neo2 is X2 compatible with the new v1.9 bios
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I am not necessarilly going w/ 939 just to swap parts for upgrades but rather to keep all my systerms consistant so in the event of a problem I can have parts to fall back on. It's kind of the way I am. I just like my sheet to be of the same cloth so to speak. ;)

I recall on the NF3 Ultra that all the mfgrs had some bios problems. Are all those sorted to satisfaction yet? Isn't that why the DFI version is so hard to find? If that is the case, would it not be better to stick with NF4? As I mentioned in my inital post, I do not care about the video card (I have PCI and AGP cards here) as it will be used as a pure buisness platform and likely not even be overclocked. I am however tryingto find what I want to use for a case. With that in mind I have even been giving consideration to the MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and using a micro case.

??????
  • edited August 2005
    I've had no special issues with my 9NDA3+ board Larry. It's bios isn't as tunable as a DFI but it does overclock well and I've heard that the rev 2.x series in present production offer more vcore than the board I have. I already did a simple soldering mod for more vdimm on my board, which will let me take it up to 3.25v or so.
    edited August 2005
    Now I am even more dazed than before. I just read mudd's post above and was even looking at Omega's stuff for sale but just came from the egg where I found something that really has my attention.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125485
    edited August 2005
    Nice case (for mATX) Pricey though....
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Wow ...I've always wanted a small format system. Keep us updated larry!
    edited August 2005
    OK now I'm tempted to go NF3 Ultra. Does anyone have any recent reviews or other info on them? I am finally getting ready to do it and all and any help is appreciated. Omega and mudd seem to have the most experience here on them so sell me guys! :cool:
    edited August 2005
    DFI NF3 Ultra-D

1) memory Voltage upto v3.2
    2) Default Athlon X2 Support
    3) Many boards will do >300HTT
    4) You can still use AGP Video Cards

DFI-Street: NF3 Ultra-D Thread

That all being said....Sell your AGP card and go PCIe
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Larry

That case you saw is the exact same as the Aspire that was reviewed by Doug a while ago. I got 2 of them, and they are great. Plenty of space for WC if you want that.

The only board that i know of that is M-atx and is Nforce 4 and have PCI-e is a OEM Asus that as far as i know, only exists in europe. It's dang cheap though. 80 Euro which is around $90 or so. No bios tweaks whatsoever, but i'm working on that.

Let me know if you'd like me to ship you one of those boards. It's called Asus A8NE-FM and you won't find any info about it at Asus. They built it for Fujitsu Siemens.
    edited August 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry

That case you saw is the exact same as the Aspire that was reviewed by Doug a while ago. I got 2 of them, and they are great. Plenty of space for WC if you want that.

The only board that i know of that is M-atx and is Nforce 4 and have PCI-e is a OEM Asus that as far as i know, only exists in europe. It's dang cheap though. 80 Euro which is around $90 or so. No bios tweaks whatsoever, but i'm working on that.

Let me know if you'd like me to ship you one of those boards. It's called Asus A8NE-FM and you won't find any info about it at Asus. They built it for Fujitsu Siemens.
    WOW!!!

I am going to have to put that up for some most serious consideration. Thank you Mack! :)

Now to look and see what else I might swap around as that could change everything.
    edited August 2005
    My wife came up behind me while I was looking at those Aspire M-ATX caes and she asked what I was up to. I told her I was considering one for the new build. And mrs goat prompty said that if I got one she was going to have it! :eek: So now this has become a whole new project in a way. It will be her rig and her current rig (#2 in my sig) minus a few key parts will become the buisness rig. So it will now look like this;

New rig #2 (for mrs goat)

New Buisness Rig

My Rig
    Will not change at all!

Thank you Mack, I found one of those Asus boards here in the U.S. for a good price from a reputable dealer.
    edited August 2005
    Larry, as for the cooler on that Aspire, the XP's won't work, but the Zalmans do who cools about as good.
    edited August 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Larry, as for the cooler on that Aspire, the XP's won't work, but the Zalmans do who cools about as good.
    I didn't think there was enough room for much. Thank you for letting me know that the Zallman's fit. Is it just the 7000 series or will a 7700 fit too?
    edited August 2005
    The 7700 will fit as well i believe. I think i have a 7700 here, but it's a copy from another mfg. Looks exactly the same.
    edited August 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    The 7700 will fit as well i believe. I think i have a 7700 here, but it's a copy from another mfg. Looks exactly the same.
    Well I'm going to go ahead and order the Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu. And if it doesn't fit I will put it in the other system as I had planned on getting an XP-120 to replace the XP-90 to make it quieter.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    awe don't get the 3500 just oc the 3200 a little. The only difference in the two is the stock speed (multi I assume).
    you could also go x2 3800 for double the price of the 3200 and get the same overclock.
    edited September 2005
    csimon wrote:
    awe don't get the 3500 just oc the 3200 a little. The only difference in the two is the stock speed (multi I assume).
    you could also go x2 3800 for double the price of the 3200 and get the same overclock.
    But the board I got isn't an overclockers board at all and I'm limited by the PSU in this case. Alos, right now the 3500 is only $29.00 more than the 3200 so it became a nobrainer to get it since I am spending a little more on this that I was going to at first.