new computer build not posting

edited August 2005 in Hardware
hey guys i got all the parts finally and now it won't post. here is what i got.

MSI KT3 Ultra (VIA KT333 Chipset) Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred Processor
512 MB DDR333 (PC2700) RAM
128 MB DDR AGP Video Card 4x/8x
CD-RW/DVD combo
40GB Western Digital EIDE Hard Drive

It is weird because I was reading on the MSI website that the motherboard supports my 2200+ processor but in the manual it states that it only supports up to 1.733 Ghz. My processor is 1.8Ghz. I am going to try another cpu from another computer but I don't know what else is wrong. I have unplugged everything except the cpu, ram, agp and still nothing. I have also reset the cmos. any help would be great. thanks. Adrian.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    well, tried another amd processor. an amd athlon 1.2 ghz cpu and got beep codes. So I guess the cpu is not supported by the mobo. I won an auction on ebay for AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ w/ Heatsink and fan. Turns out, he gave me a 2200+. Nice! Anything else I should check? All I need now is another mobo or another cpu.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    You may need to flash the bios for the 2200 to work. In that case you will need to use the 1.2 Athlon while you flash.
  • edited August 2005
    well I flashed the bios to the newest version which is 5.7 for my motherboard. It has support for the Barton 3000+ and the Athlon XP 2400+ and 2600+ in the 5.6 version. Shouldn't it be able to support the xp 2200+. I am starting to think it is a bad chip. You guys think so. I got it to run fine with the 1.2 Ghz athlon but cannot get the xp 2200+ to boot. thanks.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    I just retired a computer with that same MB and it was rock solid. Had a dead Maxtor 40Gig hd and since it was my girlfriend's machine (my last hand-me-down) it was time for an upgrade anyway. It was running an Athlon 1600+ @ 2000 speed for almost 2 years with only a video card upgrade. It's been a great motherboard with no hiccups at all. So, given that rambling, I'd say that great deal you got on the 2200+ wasn't so great after all!! I've got a 2500+ Barton running in another KT3-Ultra for a friend that even survived a smoking Enermax power supply without anything but a replacement of the power supply. I hope the guy at eBay gave you a warranty!!

Flint
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    My dad has that same board with a Barton 2500+. It should handle that 2200+ just fine.

Stick the old CPU in there and run Memtest86. :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    what if the processor die is cracked, or just plain bad..in that case you may have been scammed.